Enjoy the unity of music and nature during your Costa Rica holidays
Uvita in Costa Rica is home to a festival with a difference, where music, yoga, veganism and sustainability come together in a beautiful remote setting. Writer David Garber visited Envision Festival earlier this year to soak up the atmosphere and discover why the event has become so popular with locals and tourists, and how it has helped the local community along the way.
When it comes to music festivals, most people focus on the star-studded musical line-up, regardless of where it is located. However, one festival in Costa Rica is successfully providing a diverse mix of acts and a picturesque setting, all while promoting sustainability and helping the local community. A great opportunity to enjoy your holidays in this country, isn't it?
Writer David Garber visited Envision Festival in Uvita in Costa Rica earlier this year to find out what all the hype was about. Set in the steamy jungle on a ranch that is a three-hour drive from Costa Rica’s capital San José, the festival site is nestled under tree canopies, and surrounded by green hills, and a beach that is only accessible during low tide.
Taking place in February every year, Envision showcases a wide range of music, from reggae and dubstep, to folk and world music, and the event hosts a variety of performances from dancers and acrobats.
The event has a strong focus on sustainability and look after the environment, and its strict policies mean that there is a ban on disposables, plastic and any non-biodegradable MOOP (matter out of place). All food waste is composted, and human waste is deposited down a hole that will eventually break down into the soil.
In the Village where people eat, there are multiple food vendors selling vegan and vegetarian cuisine, but rather than disposable plates and cups, there’s a rental system where people will return their plates and utensils after each use.
While some of the community are negative about the effects the festival has on the local youths due to the nudity and alleged drug-taking, one of the founders of the event, Justin Brothers, highlights the good that comes from it.
In the nearby tourist town of Uvita, a school has been rebuilt and developed into a youth centre with the help of the Casa Envision project, and the event also attracts more tourists to the town who go on to purchase local goods.
During the festival, topics that affect the local community are also highlighted by organisers on the stages, such as the importance of minimising waste and conserving water, and the use of toxic fungicides that are used on nearby banana plantations to stop fruit from bruising, but the chemicals easily enter the soil and rivers, and sea in the local area.
With plenty to do for all ages, there’s a Witches' Healing Sanctuary, yoga sessions, workshops led by health and conservation experts, a children’s village, and places where festival-goers can just sit and relax in hammocks. Even the musical acts get involved in different ways while they’re on stage. David Barber writes in his article:
“Oakland rapper and DJ Lafa Taylor interrupted his music to guide a massive crowd-breathing exercise, and Colorado-based bluegrass group Elephant Revival talked about the importance of cleaning the ocean before performing a song about the issue.”
At night, the site turns into a very lively party scene with multiple stages, fires shows, lasers, drumming, chanting, spiritual ceremonies and dancing. The jungle heat may well be unbearable, but the essence of the festival is nothing but good. Partygoers hug and trade gifts, and wellbeing is at the forefront.
Considering Costa Rica’s native manta is Pura Vida (pure life), Envision festival represents this and encompasses the purity of nature, mankind and music throughout the colourful four-day event.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Surrounding the resort is an up-and-coming surf community, which offers guests with a variety of exciting tours and excursions
- Explorer's Club for kids and Core Zone for teens, while adults can relax by the poolside, enjoy a romantic dinner by the beach or unwind at Dreams Spa by Pevonia
- Perfect location to enjoy nature at its finest, a country renowned for its beaches, volcanoes, and biodiversity
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury; gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more all included
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your immersive tour
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Explore the city in historica Havana before a woderful All Inclusive beach stay in Costa Rica
- This twin centre offers the perfect twin centre of history in Havana with nature and great beaches in Costa Rica
- NH Capri has an amazing pool on the roof offers breath-taking views over the capital and glistening sea
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury, where everything is included such as: gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...