Costa Rica records most successful year yet for tourism in 2015
Costa Rica celebrated a record year last year for inbound tourism, with a nine per cent increase in revenue generated from tourism. International visitor arrivals to the Latin American country also broke records with a total of 2,665,608 travellers in 2015, which was a 5.5 per cent increase compared to the year before.
Costa Rica’s tourism industry has recorded its most successful thriving year with visitor numbers for 2015 up by 5.5 per cent compared to 2014. Inbound tourism in Costa Rica increased by nine per cent and the number of international travellers reached 2,665,608 in 2015.
The number of UK travellers increased by a significant 20.1 per cent in 2015, totalling 49,499 and the highest rise of all European markets. Visitors arriving by air to the Latin American country increased by eight per cent with a total of 1,858,965 last year, and the Costa Rica Tourism Board expects numbers to increase even more in 2016 after the launch of new flights from British Airways launching in April.
The flights will run between London Gatwick Airport and San Jose International Airport in Costa Rica. Launching on 27th April, 2016, the new service will be operated on Boeing 777 aircraft, twice a week during summer months and three times a week in the winter.
“Last year represented an exceptional year for Costa Rica’s tourism industry with figures exceeding records from all previous years and we expect to see continued growth in 2016, particularly from the UK...The new direct flight from BA is a fantastic opportunity for Costa Rica and demonstrates the airline’s confidence in our country as an exciting, thriving tourist destination with much to offer the British tourist”, explained Mauricio Ventura, the Minister of Tourism for Costa Rica.
Costa Rica translates to “rich coast” and the country is home to some of the world's most breathtaking natural scenery made up of lush rainforests, volcanoes, majestic mountains, unspoilt beaches, and cascading waterfalls.
The nation in Latin America has gained a reputation as destination for green holidays and fun eco adventures, and tourists can enjoy an array of adrenalin-pumping activities such as adventurous activities such as trekking, surfing, scuba diving, climbing, rafting, kayaking, mountain biking and horse riding.
One of the most popular regions is Guanacaste which boasts an array of pristine white sand beaches and the thriving Rincon de la Vieja National Park which boasts beautiful cascading waterfalls and a variety of wildlife species such as monkeys, sloths, tapirs, wild cats and hundreds of colourful birds.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- See the natural wonders of Costa Rica
- Sky Walk Arenal’s Hanging Bridges
- Includes Sarapiqui River Rafting class
This holiday offers a fantastic base to explore Costa Rica, or relax in splendid surroundings
- Enjoy long summer days on a secluded beach or discover the rich natural ecology of the area
- Those looking for an active holiday can try horse riding, kayaking, windsurfing, hiking and mountain biking
- Ultimate Savings and upgrades for Summer 2019 when booking before 31st January
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
With shimmering white beaches and lush tropical jungle, Dreams Las Mareas Costa Rica is the perfect getaway for the...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Embrace the rich diversity of Costa Rica and open your eyes to new experiences as you venture to Costa Rica for a...
With a good choice of amenities and perfect location, Occidental Tamarindo is a brilliant holiday choice for families...