Baseball: A highpoint in Obama's visit to Cuba this month
President Barack Obama announced early this week that he will drop by the Latin American stadium in Havana to attend an exhibition game between the Tampa Bay Rays and Cuba's national baseball team. The American politician will be on an official visit to the Caribbean country from 21 to 22 March this year.
As a massive baseball fan, Barack Obama has included in the schedule of his historic trip to Cuba a visit to the island’s flagship baseball stadium in Havana, where an exhibition game between an American MLB team and Cuba’s national baseball team will take place.
White House official Ben Rhodes confirmed the president's decision via Twitter last Tuesday, pointing out in his tweet that:
“Charting new #CubaPolicy means stronger ties between Cubans & Americans - we all share a love of baseball.”
Serious tensions between the United States’ administration and the Cuban government have lessened during the last year, as heads of state Raul Castro and Barack Obama communicated via simultaneous public speeches (on December 2014) their mutual intentions to reach an agreement for restoring diplomatic ties between both countries.
Last month President Obama announced that he would be travelling to Cuba in March accompanied by his wife Michelle, as a demonstration of his commitment to the negotiation process.
His participation in the baseball event, scheduled for 22nd March, has a strong symbolic dimension, as this particular sports discipline has important meanings in the identities and lives of the American and Cuban people. Mr Rhodes in his official Twitter account posted this Wednesday:
“We are very excited to…strengthen ties between our countries through our love & passion for the game of baseball.”
The game itself is a significant event, considering that it will be the first time in 17 years that a Mayor League team plays in Cuba. In 1999, the Baltimore Orioles played an exhibition game at the very same stadium in Havana. The series of two events (one took place in the island and the other in the U.S.) marked the first time that the Cuban national team had faced the MLB since 1959.
Carlos Lois, technical head of the Cuban Baseball Commission, stated that local players battling it out against the MBL team will be selected among those who performed well during the National Series. Training sessions for Cuba’s team will kick off next week.
Barack Obama is a Chicago White Sox fan and a baseball lover, as he has demonstrated in many occasions with his presence at various games and his comments about this sports practice in public. A family snapshot released to the press about three years ago, shows a very young Obama practicing his baseball swing in the 1960s.
Obama's state visit to the island will mark the first sighting of a U.S. president in Cuba in nearly 90 years. According to official statements from the White House, Obama's trip to the Caribbean nation is intended to push for further advances in the efforts that the U.S. government is making for “improving the lives of the Cuban people”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...