Flight options between the U.S. and Cuba to increase next summer
Cuban aviation officials and their counterparts in the United States recently signed an agreement for the restoration of commercial flights connecting these neighbouring countries. The service was suspended in the early 1960s, but after the normalisation of diplomatic relations and the re-engagement between presidents Barack Obama and Raul Castro, civil aviation issues have been speedily discussed.
After 50 years of travelling with several restrictions and onboard uncomfortable charters, Americans and Cubans will have the opportunity to use commercial flights to travel between both countries, as it was informed on February by authorities of both nations.
Officials from the Cuban and United States governments signed a deal last month in Havana, establishing that more than 100 flights a day will be operated from next summer, covering the distances between various American airports and those in the island open to international air traffic.
This will radically change the current state of affairs in the sector, marked by the economic embargo imposed on the island by the U.S. more than five decades ago. This policy had severely restricted commercial trade with Cuba, including the banning of regular flights from the U.S.
But as the political climate has been gradually changing since December 2014, more Americans are going to Cuba, and analysts have predicted that the number of travellers will rise to millions if the embargo is finally lifted.
Several companies based in the U.S. have moved rapidly in the last year, offering charter services as a way to ensure their share in a forthcoming major business. Delta Airlines and JetBlue are among them, and it is expected that they also will be among the first airlines to operate commercial flights.
Each of these companies will be allowed to schedule 10 flights a day to any of the airports open to international service in Cuba: Camagüey, Cayo Coco, Cayo Largo, Cienfuegos, Holguín, Manzanillo, Matanzas, Santa Clara y Santiago de Cuba.
For now, only American companies will offer regular service between the U.S. and Cuba. Brandon Belford, head of the Department of Aeronautics Transportation in the U.S. said to AFP that they
“...do not anticipate that there will be Cuban-owned aircraft serving destinations in the United States in the near future.”
However, the accord is favourable also because it implies that flights will be offered at more competitive, lower prices, due to the huge increase in daily flights. At present, a ticket for a charter flight from New York to Havana costs around 850 USD, and 450 USD from Miami to Havana.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...