Visitor arrivals to Costa Rica in 2015 exceed 2.5 million
Costa Rica recorded a total of 2,665,000 visitors in 2015, according to the tropical country's Tourism Board. The arrivals marked a 5.5 per cent increase compared to 2014, and the United States continued to be the main source market with 1,077,044 tourists visiting the Central American nation last year.
The number of travellers who visited Costa Rica in 2015 surpassed 2.5 million, according to data released by the Instituto Costarricense de Turismo (ICT).
The Tourism Board recorded a total of 2.665.000 visitors to Costa Rica in 2015, a 5.5 per cent increase compared to the year before.
The main source market continues to be the United States, with a total 1,077,044 tourists visiting the Central American country in the last 12 months.
In 2015, the country's tourism sector generated US$2.9 billion dollars in revenue, which was an increase of nine percent compared to 2014.
The numbers were praised by the Tourism Minister, Mauricio Ventura, who said that tourism was the driving force behind the national economy, and visitor numbers in 2016 are expected to be even better than last year.
Costa Rica is home to some of the world's most breathtaking natural scenery that is made up of lush rainforests, volcanoes, soaring mountains, unspoilt white-sand beaches, and waterfalls that cascade into turquoise lagoons.
The country has become an increasingly popular destination for nature-lovers, eco-conscious travellers, and adventure enthusiasts, thanks to its stunning landscapes, diverse wildlife species, and array of adrenalin-pumping activities such as trekking, surfing, scuba diving, climbing, rafting, kayaking, mountain biking and horse riding.
The educational tour company, Magmatica, has recently launched tours in the former capital Cartago, that take tourists on a journey through the natural history and geography of Costa Rica, exploring its history and close proximity to some of the world's most disastrous earthquakes.
The beautiful country boasts hundreds of eco-friendly hotels and resorts that are nestled within picturesque and natural surroundings. Ranked several times as the happiest place in the world in the New Economics Foundation's Happy Planet Index, Costa Rica is on the bucket list for many travellers from all over the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco-tourist's dream destination
- Experience canopy walkways through a bridge system and marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- Explore San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
Surrounding the resort is an up-and-coming surf community, which offers guests with a variety of exciting tours and excursions
- Explorer's Club for kids and Core Zone for teens, while adults can relax by the poolside, enjoy a romantic dinner by the beach or unwind at Dreams Spa by Pevonia
- Perfect location to enjoy nature at its finest, a country renowned for its beaches, volcanoes, and biodiversity
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury; gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more all included
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your immersive tour
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...