Costa Rica opens new earthquake tour to attract holidaymakers
Tour companies in Costa Rica are using earthquakes to attract more holidaymakers with interactive tours. Magmatica, an educational tour company, has launched tours in Cartago, Costa Rica's old capital, which explore the county's natural history, geography and relationship with volcanoes, as well as an earthquake simulation.
Costa Rica is using earthquakes to lure holidaymakers through new interactive tours that delve into the history and geography of the country.
The educational tour company, Magmatica, has launched tours that take tourists on a journey through the natural history and geography of Costa Rica, and explores it history and close proximity to some of the world's most disastrous earthquakes.
Taking place in Costa Rica's former capital Cartago, just 16 miles away from San Jose, the tour was officially opened by officials from the Tourism Ministry and representatives from the Education Ministry, National Emergency Commission and Volcanological and the Seismological Observatory.
The tour costs $15 for adults and $10 for children and features educational videos and exhibits. At the end, there will be an earthquake simulation that will recreate some of Central America's most historic natural disasters including the 8.8-magnitude earthquake in Chile in 2010.
Marcela Calvo, the President of Magmatica, explained:
"Approximately two years ago, we were thinking that Cartago needed something different and complementary to its existing tourist attractions. We also wanted to offer fun and education to both national and international visitors.
"We have become a desirable tourist destination in the world, and it's because of our natural and cultural beauty. With Magmatica, we put these elements together."
As well as entertaining holidaymakers, one of the main aims of the project is to promote awareness of earthquakes and encourage people to take preventative measures in communities and homes.
Magmatica also has a restaurant that serves traditional Costa Rican dishes, a miniature football field, and a gift shop for travellers visiting Cartago.
"Tourism is really important for Cartago. It is an element that we haven't developed in a strong way. That's why the Cartago Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Tourism, in conjunction with the Municipality of Cartago and other actors, are pursuing a strategy to explore all of the beauties of Cartago."
Concluded Cartago's Mayor Rolando Rodriguez.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters
- Learn more about Costa Rica with the unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot to learn about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
This holiday offers a fantastic base to explore Costa Rica, or relax in splendid surroundings
- Enjoy long summer days on a secluded beach or discover the rich natural ecology of the area
- Those looking for an active holiday can try horse riding, kayaking, windsurfing, hiking and mountain biking
- Ultimate Savings and upgrades for Summer 2019 when booking before 31st January
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all its gems on this in-depth tour with a fabulous beach stay at the end
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
With shimmering white beaches and lush tropical jungle, Dreams Las Mareas Costa Rica is the perfect getaway for the...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Embrace the rich diversity of Costa Rica and open your eyes to new experiences as you venture to Costa Rica for a...
With a good choice of amenities and perfect location, Occidental Tamarindo is a brilliant holiday choice for families...