Jordan Tourist Board invites The Holiday Place to private screening of The Martian
One of Hollywood's latest blockbusters to make it to the big screen, The Martian, starring Matt Damon and directed by Ridley Scott, features some spectacular footage of Jordan's vast and wild Wadi Rum desert, which in the film doubles as a Mars landscape. No question then as to why The Holiday Place was cordially invited to attend a private screening at London's 20th Century Fox Studios in Soho Square. Read on to see what fascinated us about a very special part of Jordan that took centre stage in the film's storyline.
After a courteous invitation by the Head of Marketing at Jordan Tourist Board, Stephen Hurp, two travel experts from The Holiday Place (myself included) attended a very special private screening of one of Hollywood’s most recent and successful productions: The Martian.
The motive? Well, for starters The Martian was partially filmed in Jordan, an amazingly diverse travel destination that The Holiday Place proudly sells and promotes as one of the Middle East’s most fascinating gems with amazingly preserved heritage and captivating ancient marvels.
In the case of The Martian, a large part of the scenes in which the audience sees Matt Damon stranded in Mars, actually take place in Jordan’s red desert vastness of Wadi Rum, a spectacular sight to behold that honestly looks like something truly out of this world; quite literally. No filtering, retouching or computing imaging were needed here (aside the special effects required to create the sand storms), what you see is what you’ll really get if you ever visit this unearthly part of Jordan, so we were in real awe, not only enjoy the film’s gripping plot but also admiring Jordan’s “Martian” beauty.
Before being shown the actual movie, a representative from Jordan Tourist Board briefly introduced us to the breathtaking images of Jordan we were about to appreciate in detail and talked about Jordan’s unique appeal as a travel destination.
In a short clip that preceded the screening we saw Ridley Scott and Matt Damon talking about how choosing Jordan came as natural instinct and how there was no better place on earth that most closely resembles extra-terrestrial territory.
"We shot exteriors at Wadi Rum [in Jordan]. To me, it's the Eighth Wonder of the World. It's incredible. It's only about 100 square miles [259 square kilometers].
And I didn't do anything but shoot it at the right time, from the right positions, then added a bit of red dust to everything. So our film world looks pretty accurate — at least I'm hoping Mars looks a little like that."
But The Martian is not the only film to have been shot in Jordan’s Wadi Rum nor is it the first time that this magnificent setting has been used a backdrop to recreate Martian landscapes. Previous productions like Mission to Mars, Red Planet and, more recently, The Last Days on Mars have also been filmed there, in a place that’s listed a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jordan Browse all
Discover the charm and wonder of Aqaba with this amazing special offer
- Enjoy the unique beauty and colors of the Red Sea through excursions to nearby scuba diving and snorkelling locations
- Unwind at the adult lap pool or stay fit in the gym.
- Enjoy kiddie pool or the resort's "DANA" Children activities centre to ensure a high spirited stay for all
A great array of facilities awaits you, such as the eight restaurants and the colourful coral reefs.
- Located on the Red Sea, the hotel houses the Zara Spa, specialising in a wide variety of treatments and therapies
- Take advantage of the large swimming pool and unwind right beside it at the Sejan Poolside Restaurant
- Visit Aqaba Castle and Aqaba Archaeological Museum for a historical perspective of Jordan, or take a trip to the Dream Mall
Travel back in time and visit a number of antique remains and ruins dating back to the Iron Age
- Visit Petra, Jordan's most famous tourist attraction, a true treasure of the ancient world
- Learn more about the way of local life by spending a night at a Bedouin camp in the beautiful desert of Wadi Rum
- Explore ancient monuments such as a well-preserved site of Roman architecture in Jerash, and the burial place of the Prophet Moses at Mt Nebo
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a full day visit of the "Rose Red City" of Petra - a treasure of the ancient world
- Drive along the spectacular 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Spend a day by the Dead Sea, at over 400m below sea level the Dead Sea is a wonderful must-see sight
This unforgettable 7 night tour is the perfect way to discover the Arab Kingdom of Jordan. Set on the East Bank of the...
Discover the hidden treasures of Jordan on this fascinating tour. Start your journey in Aqaba, then continue to Pella...
Discover the beauty and culture of Jordan with this unforgettable 7-night tour. Set on the East Bank of the River Jordan...
Aqaba is the largest city on the Gulf of Aqaba and Jordan's only coastal city. The warm water and rich marine life are...
Aqaba is Jordan's only coastal city, and is the largest city on the Gulf of Aqaba. The warm water and rich marine life...
This unforgettable 3 night tour is the perfect way to discover the essential sites of the Arab Kingdom of Jordan. Set on...