British Airways to operate direct flight between London and Costa Rica
British Airways has announced that it will offer direct flights to San Jose, Costa Rica from London Gatwick airport from May 2016. Costa Rica is becoming an increasing popular holiday destination for Britons thanks to its combination of rainforests, volcanoes, beaches and its biodiversity all of which have served to boosted its profile as a top eco-friendly holiday destination.
From May 2016 British Airways will operate direct flights between London Gatwick Airport (LGW) and San Jose International (SJO), Costa Rica.
During the summer months the flights will operate twice weekly and for those holidaymakers craving a sunny winter break, British Airways will increase the frequency to three times per week.
Colm Lacy, British Airways' Head of Commercial - Gatwick stated the following of his firm's decision to add the route:
"Adding Costa Rica to our wide range of flights from Gatwick boosts our network and gives customers an even greater choice of diverse destinations. We're very excited to have the opportunity to fly nonstop between London and San Jose and we're sure this route will prove very popular with those looking for a holiday that's definitely out of the ordinary."
Indeed Costa Rica has proven to be an increasingly popular holiday destination among Britons and is considered to be one of the top destinations for travellers keen on eco-friendly holidays. Costa Rica's rainforests boast of a wide array of wildlife and along with its volcanic peaks they make for a truly rewarding hiking adventure.
The Costa Rican beaches are also key attractions and with as many as 300 different beaches there is something for everyone. From surfers to swimmers there is the perfect beach with both rocky beaches and sandy beaches ranging from white to black sand.
The Costa Rican Minister of Tourism, Mauricio Ventura noted that over the past year the number of arrivals to Costa Rica from the UK increased by 12.9 per cent and with the average stay lasting up to two weeks, UK holidaymakers are making a valuable contribution to the Costa Rican tourism industry and the wider economy.
Notably, British Airways is not the only UK based airline to acknowledge Costa Rica's potential as Thomson Airways also announced that they would offer direct flights to Costa Rica as early as November 2015.
Director of Product for Thomson and First Choice, Mark Hall stated:
"We're thrilled to be launching Costa Rica as a new destination for holidaymakers and it is fantastic to be offering the only direct flight from the UK on our Dreamliner. It's an amazing country, with some really experiential excursions as well as great hotels."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
Located on the stunning Papagayo Peninsula in Guanacaste
- Activities galore including water aerobics, walks, themed nights, movies, cooking, volleyball, pilates and more.
- 3 romantic wedding packages, all including wedding cake, sparkling wine toast, honeymoon package, and free anniversary nights.
- Ultimate Savings and upgrades for Summer 2019 when booking before 31st January
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all its gems on this in-depth tour with a fabulous beach stay at the end
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
With shimmering white beaches and lush tropical jungle, Dreams Las Mareas Costa Rica is the perfect getaway for the...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Embrace the rich diversity of Costa Rica and open your eyes to new experiences as you venture to Costa Rica for a...
With a good choice of amenities and perfect location, Occidental Tamarindo is a brilliant holiday choice for families...