Egypt extends tourist opening hours at archaeological sites and museums
The Ministry of Tourism in Egypt has announced that the opening times of many archaeological sites in Luxor and Aswan have been extended. In an effort to boost cultural tourism in Egypt, a lighting project has been completed at many popular sites that enables tourists to visit at night during the summer and winter.
Tourists will now be able to visit many of Egypt's archaeological sites at night following the completion of a new lighting project.
The Ministry of Tourism of Egypt announced that opening hours of sites at the Valley of the Kings and Queens, Hatshepsut Temple, the Ramesseum and Luxor Temple will be open from 6am to 11pm during the summer period and 6am to 9pm during the winter.
In a effort to boost cultural tourism in Egypt and attract more tourists to Luxor and Aswan, the Ministry of Antiquities agreed to extend the sites' opening hours from 22nd July, 2015.
Egyptair Express has also announced plans to launch new domestic services between the popular Red Sea resorts of Sharm El Sheikh (SSH) and Hurghada (HRG) from 15th August, 2015.
The airline will operate the flights three times a week on Sundays, Tuesday, and Thursdays. The company also operates 77 flights a week from Cairo to Sharm El Sheikh, and 62 weekly flights from Cairo to Hurghada.
Each year, millions of international tourists travel to Egypt to explore the country's incredible historical offerings. Holidaymakers can take cruises up the River Nile and visit ancient temples such as the Temple of Karnak, Luxor Temple, and Valley of the Kings. The renowned pyramids can be found in Giza on the outskirts of Cairo, and the largest Egyptian pyramid is the Pyramid of Khufu. Additional ancient sites include the Medinet Habu, the Tombs of the Nobles, and the Ramesseum Temple.
Scuba diving and snorkelling enthusiasts can enjoy excellent conditions in Red Sea resorts such as Sharm el Sheikh and Hurghada, where there are also a large number of luxury Egypt hotels and resorts.
The country has experienced political unrest over the past few years, following the overthrow of President Mohamed Morsi, which led to a decline in international tourist numbers, but the government and tourism ministers have been working hard to encourage more travellers through global tourism campaigns.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports on offer
A wonderful and exclusive beach retreat; El Gouna bustles with artists, environmentalists and sports enthusiasts who enjoy the perfect location between mountains and sea.
- Boasting an array of facilities including four swimming pools, championship golf course and much more
- Fully wheelchair accessible and environmentally friendly
- Located directly on the Red Sea with 2 Kilometres of private beach
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonders, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Radamis II Nile Cruise
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Radamis II Nile Cruise from £249pp
Enjoy a memorable and romantic holiday in Egypt
- Benefit from the Sonesta Star Goddess Spa and enjoy a relaxing massage after a busy day of excursions
- Suites made for your comfortable stay with the best view
- Enjoy the swimming pool or relax on the sun deck where you can have a cocktail
Enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the all-inclusive Hilton Hurghada Resort in Egypt and discover a...
Le Meridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a short...
Le Méridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a...
AMC Royal Hotel is situated on the sandy beach of the Red Sea inbetween Hurghada and El Gouna. The resort overlooks its...
Enjoying a central location in Luxor, directly on the banks of the Nile and within 10 min walking distance from Luxor...
Experience the thrill of a jaunt to the famous Valley of the Kings as you explore one of Egypt's touristic gems, Luxor....