Cuba's city of Trinidad now offers public WiFi service as part of government scheme
The town of Trinidad in central Cuba now offers public wireless internet s part of a government plan to set up WiFi hotspots across the country for the first time. The public WiFi in Trinidad has been set up in a downtown park by the state telecoms company Etecsa and plans are underway to set up more spots across the island in the near future.
Cuba’s south-eastern city of Trinidad now offers public wireless internet thanks to a new government scheme to set up WiFi hotspots across the island.
The plan comes after years of Internet restriction in Cuba but now the government is keen to connect people in popular tourist areas such as Trinidad.
The WiFi in Trinidad has been set up in a downtown park by the state’s telecoms company, ETECSA, and plans are underway to set up the service in Sancti Spiritus before the end of May.
Public WiFi was launched in Trinidad last month by ETECSA, and shortly before the local artist Alexis Leyva (Kcho) had turned his internet connection at home in Havana into a public WiFi hotspot.
The government in Cuba heavily restricts home Internet connections while the fees in state-run public Internet cafes are overly expensive for locals and visitors alike.
ETECSA announced earlier this year that it plans to double the number of Internet cafes to 300 by the end of the year, and also launch many more new WiFi hot spots across the Caribbean island.
Trinidad is a town in the Sancti Spiritus province and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The immaculately preserved Spanish colonial settlement is known as Cuba’s number one open-air museum and is home to cobbled streets, red roofed houses, and colonial-style mansions. It's highly popular among tourists and one of the most visited places in the island.
Popular tourist destinations in Cuba include the country’s historic capital city, Havana, the stunning Jardines del Rey archipelago, the Spanish Colonial city of Trinidad, and the beach resort of Varadero with 21 kilometres of coastline and white sandy beaches.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Nacional De Cuba hotel is considered a symbol of history, culture and Cuban identity
- Iberostar Laguna Azul offers 15 bars and restaurants, and worldwide cuisines
- Enjoy watersports including windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, paddleboats, and snorkelling
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...