Chinese firm and Cuban government plan to build new golf resort in Varadero Beach
The Cuban government and a Chinese company have signed a letter of intent that will see the construction of a brand new golf course and resort. The golf resort will be located between Havana and Varadero Beach and will have a marina, condominiums and hotels. It will be the second golf course on the Caribbean island.
A letter of intent has been signed by a Chinese company and the Cuban government to build a brand new golf resort and course on the Caribbean island.
The golf course will join Cuba’s only 18-hole golf course and it will be located on the northern coast between Havana City and Varadero Beach. The resort will have a golf course, marina, condominiums and hotels,
A similar agreement was signed last year by a British company signed a similar agreement for a site east of the Varadero Beach resort and construction is due to start in 2016.
The Cuban government said that it is planning to eventually have at least 12 golf resorts on the island. Cuba could soon become a popular destination for beach and golf holidays following the announcement late last year that Cuba and the United States would re-establish diplomatic relations after 54-years-long embargo.
In Cuba, Juventud Rebelde newspaper reported the following:
"The president of the Beijing Enterprise Group and business director of the tourism ministry, Wuang Dong and Jose Reinaldo Daniel, respectively, signed the letter of intent, which that gave the green light to initiate the project."
President Obama has relaxed restrictions on Cuba travel for Americans and they can now visit the island for non-tourism related purposes including religious, academic, cultural people to people programmes, and educational activities.
Cuba is a nation situated in the Caribbean Sea that is home to a myriad of beautiful landscapes and sites for international visitors to enjoy, such as miles of pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, historic towns and cities, ancient ruins, thriving national parks, breathtaking natural scenery, and a tropical climate.
Varadero is a coastal resort in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula on the north coast. The region is one of the most popular destinations for beach breaks due to more than 20km of pristine white sand beaches and a collection of upscale beachfront hotels and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Varadero Browse all
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts at Starfish Varadero. This locale is known for its...
Discover the luxuries offered by the wonderful Be Live Experience Turquesa Hotel by choosing to stay here during your...
Make a dream holiday on the luscious beaches of Varadero a reality with an eight-day trip to this picturesque Cuban...