Cuba to launch new tobacco route in Pinar del Rio
Starting next autumn, Cuba's westernmost province of Pinar del Rio will start offering an attractive brand new tour for nature lovers and tobacco enthusiasts alike. The new Tobacco Route will allow tourists to learn about the process of tobacco-growing and cigar-making while getting an up-close and personal insight into Cuba's prestigious tobacco industry; right from the plantation stages to the finished hand-rolled product.
A new tour taking visitors around Cuba’s biggest and most famous tobacco plantation in Pinar del Rio will start being offered to tourists in September this year.
An attractive new option for nature lovers and those wishing to get a close encounter with Cuba’s world-famous and prestigious tobacco-producing industry, this tour will enable those interested get a close-up view of the tobacco plant growing process and the different stages the leaves go through after being picked and finally rolled into the famous Habanos.
As part of the new tour, those embarking on the Tobacco Route will visit plantations, country estates and other places of cultural and heritage value in the Pinar del Rio municipalites of Consolacion del Sur, San Juan and Martinez and San Luis, all key towns part of a territory known as the “Mecca” of Cuban tobacco production.
Pinar del Rio is Cuba’s westernmost province, located about 150 kilometres west of Havana City. This region is responsible for growing around 16,000 hectares of different varieties of tobacco plants, from which the best leaves are carefully chosen to then be hand-made into the prestigious Habanos, which constitute the island’s fourth biggest export.
Pinar del Rio’s tourist office (Delegacion Territorial del Turismo en Pinar del Rio) announced the launch of the new tobacco route during a recent press release and revealed that the new tour will start being offered from September 2015, to mark the celebration of Cuba’s annual eco-tourism fair, TURNAT 2015, which this year will be hosted in the island’s westernmost province.
In addition to the new tour, tourism authorities also unveiled new eco-excursions to showcase the area’s natural beauty. Among them is the new project of the Sumidero zone, home to Cuyaguateje (the largest river in the area) and an abundance of flora and fauna, as well as the interesting architecture of the urban areas.
For sports enthusiasts, climbing the mogotes of the Vinales Valley will be an exciting new option, as well as the trekking and hiking routes to Mil Cumbres, La Guira and the cays of San Felipe.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...