First direct flight from New York to Havana is announced
As a direct effect of the thawing of Cuba-U.S. relations, the first direct flight in decades, connecting New York to Havana has been announced to take off on 17th March 2015. A Boeing 737-800 will be linking the two cities again with a weekly frequency while an additional charter flight connecting Florida to Cuba's capital will also start operating.
North American travel agencies have begun to operate direct charter flights from New York to Havana once again after decades of interrupted services between the two cities.
A direct effect of President Obama’s efforts to normalise relations between Cuba and the U.S., this could mark the very first step in a new era of unrestricted travel for Americans to Cuba.
According to a release by Business Insider, Miami-based travel agency, Cuba Travel Services recently announced that it will begin operating a new direct weekly flight departing from New York and landing in Havana, starting next month on 17th March 2015. Similarly another charter flight linking the south of Florida to the Caribbean will be added to the already existing routes between Florida and Havana.
The company gave further details about the new flight operations to Cuba detailing that passengers flying the new route would be carried aboard a Boeing-737-800 which would be hired from American airline, Sun Country. The new flights to Cuba will depart from New York’s JFK airport and two fixed fares have been published: $849 for standard return tickets and $1334 if flying in business class.
This new flight to Cuba is the latest to join other charter services already operating from the south of Florida to the capital of the Caribbean island, the cost of which oscillates between $400 and $450.
The new measures taken this year by the U.S. government which have included steps towards opening a U.S. embassy in Cuba and establishing new business ties between American and Cuban telecommunication companies, also aim to loosen up restrictions for Americans to travel to Cuba. For the first time Americans are being encouraged by their government to go and discover for themselves what had been for decades American travellers’ only forbidden fruit.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Nacional De Cuba hotel is considered a symbol of history, culture and Cuban identity
- Iberostar Laguna Azul offers 15 bars and restaurants, and worldwide cuisines
- Enjoy watersports including windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, paddleboats, and snorkelling
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
Head to one of the Caribbean's liveliest cities, then move on to a luxury beach resort
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-hour all-inclusive services
- Rooftop swimming pool and Jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Combine discovering the colonial architecture, history and rich culture of Havana with basking upon Caribbean beaches...