Maldives' first free-diving centre opens at Dusit Thani resort
Luxury all-inclusive resort Dusit Thani Maldives has opened the country's first-ever free-diving centre on its private island of Mudhdhoo. Surrounded by the rich coral reefs of the Maldives' only UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, the internationally-accredited centre will offer guests the chance to learn how to dive into the underwater world without the aid of scuba equipment.
Luxury island resort Dusit Thani Maldives has opened the country's first ever free-diving centre located on Mudhdhoo Island in Baa Atoll. The internationally-approved centre will offer guests the chance to learn to dive without scuba equipment under the supervision of highly experienced instructors.
The island resort, surrounded by a vibrant coral reef and calm turquoise lagoon, has partnered with globally-renowned free-diving organisation Apnea Total to offer the unique watersport to guests. As well as experiencing the tranquillity and beauty of the underwater world without the hindrance of bulky scuba-diving equipment, the sport is said to have various health and fitness benefits.
The new centre will offer all levels of free-diving accreditation following the Apnea Total education system and standards. Courses include 2-day free-diver basic programmes, 3-day advanced free-diver accreditation and, for the really committed, 5-week free-diving master certification. The basic course equips guests to dive safely and comfortably down to 20 metres on a single breath, while the advanced course enables guests to dive down to 40 metres below sea level.
All the instructors at the centre have the utmost expertise in the sport, having trained and worked under record-holding free-divers. The new centre also comes fully equipped with world-class Cressi dive gear that is rented to free-divers as part of the course price.
"Free-diving is a phenomenal water sport to offer guests at the resort, especially when we are blessed with such stunning marine biodiversity due to being located within the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve."
Said Dusit Thani's director of sales and marketing, Thanos Lionsatos, he also explained:
"This new initiative is a reflection of our continued pursuit of expanding our portfolio of guest services at Dusit Thani Maldives."
The resort island is an ideal spot from which to explore the marine biodiversity of Baa Atoll, the first UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve in the country. The free-diving centre is the latest addition to the resort's wide range of watersports, which includes scuba-diving at Baa Atoll's many spectacular dive sites and snorkelling around Mudhdhoo Island's offshore reef.
Dusit Thani Maldives is located on its own private coral island rimmed by pearly white beaches, which is 35 minutes by seaplane from the Maldivian capital Male. The all-inclusive resort has 100 Thai-inspired villas, some set over the ocean, as well as a luxurious spa built amid a canopy of coconut palms. The resort's centrepiece is the largest infinity pool in the Maldives, designed around an ancient Banyan tree, and there are also three restaurants and two bars overlooking the ocean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Peace, relaxation and luxury come as standard in this amazing Indian Ocean getaway
- Easy access to the buzzing capital city of Male, where you can extend your experience of the Maldives
- Benefit from water bungalows that allow unfettered access to the ocean waters and feature private sun decks
- The main restaurants’ theme nights highlight cuisines from around the world ranging from Asian to Western dishes
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities (*surcharge may apply)
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages all come included in the price of your stay
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Bask in the crystal waters of the Indian Ocean with this stunning Maldivian hideaway
- Explore the local reef with an expert guide
- Experience the true Maldivian way of life with a local family
- Indulge your senses with serene tranquillity at the Spa
Adaaran Club Rannalhi is regarded as one of the best hotels in Maldives, sitting exclusively at the tip of the South...
Standing out as a precious gem, the Adaaran Select Hudhuran Fushi is a great Maldivian holiday spot for any kind of...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
The island of Bandos is a perfect setting for that romantic getaway or those two weeks of bliss away from work. The...