Havana makes it as one of the Seven Wonders - Cities of the World
Cuba's iconic capital city of Havana has been declared one of the New7Wonders Cities of the World after worldwide voters cast their decision to include the emblematic Caribbean city in the top seven. Joining Havana were Doha, Kuala Lumpur, La Paz, Beirut, Durban and Vigan.
Havana has been chosen as one of the New 7 Wonders Cities of the World as selected by all the worldwide voters who participated in Bernard Weber’s New7Wonders Cities campaign.
The Cuban capital was chosen alongside Beirut, Doha, Durban, Kuala Lumpur, La Paz and Vigan as one of two countries that made the list in the American continent.
The Founder-President of New7Wonders said of the final line-up:
"I would like to thank everyone who has helped promote the New7Wonders Cities campaign since its inception in 2011. We began with more than 1,200 nominees from 220 different countries and here we have 7 that represent the global diversity of urban society.
For the first time in human history, more than half of our planet’s population lives in cities and this election emphasises the dramatically challenging character of our changing world."
He also took the time to thank the New7Wonders Cities Panel of Experts, which advised on the choosing of the 28 Official Finalist Candidates in October 2013, whilst also congratulating the voters who narrowed the selection down to 7 through the subsequent elimination phases.
To announce the winners he took to publishing a video on the website where most the official voting took place, although many offline votes through post were also made from all over the world.
On the video, which was shot in Dubai, Mr Weber listed all winning cities in alphabetical order and ended by saying;
“Congratulations. You have the challenges of the future.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Nacional De Cuba hotel is considered a symbol of history, culture and Cuban identity
- Iberostar Laguna Azul offers 15 bars and restaurants, and worldwide cuisines
- Enjoy watersports including windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, paddleboats, and snorkelling
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Head to one of the Caribbean's liveliest cities, then move on to a luxury beach resort
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-hour all-inclusive services
- Rooftop swimming pool and Jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Combine discovering the colonial architecture, history and rich culture of Havana with basking upon Caribbean beaches...