Cuba set to welcome record number of travellers this winter
With the winter period now underway, Cuba is preparing for its peak tourism period. The Caribbean island's tourism ministry has put steps in place including securing more direct flights to Cuba from key source markets, attracting more cruise liners and improvements to the hotels in Cuba.
Cuba looks to be on track to surpass the number of foreign visitors arriving on the island in 2014 with its busiest season of the year, the winter months of November- April, now underway. While many of the world’s most attractive holiday destinations have been struggling with the fallout of the global economic crisis, Cuba has bucked the trend. According to recent statics, with 2071533 visitors, Cuba has achieved a near 4 per cent increase in the number of travellers going on holidays to Cuba in the January to August 2014 months when compared to same period last year.
The Caribbean island is now prepared to take full advantage of the peak season with Cuba’s Tourism Ministry carrying out a series of programs to ensure that Cuba’s tourism sector is able to realize its full potential. Some of the Tourism Ministry’s initiatives include the opening up of new air routes between Cuba and key source markets such as Canada, Mexico, Poland, Russia, Germany, Colombia, and Costa Rica.
In addition to securing new direct flights to Cuba, local tourism officials have also placed emphasis on attracting more cruise liners. Some of the cruise ships scheduled to visit Cuba this winter include, Cuba Cruise from Canada, Germany’s Star Clipper and Hamburg, Thomson Dream and Balmoral from the UK and the US’ Panorama and Semester at Sea.
With the expected peak in arrivals this winter, several Cuba hotels have invested in improving their facilities. Director of Cayo Largo Tourism Company, Moises Garcia, recently announced that hotels in the resort island off Cuba were being revamped and well as improvements to the surrounding infrastructure including access roads, the work undertaken in the area forms part of an investment plan aimed at achieving an 88 per cent occupancy rate.
Cuba welcomed over 2.8 million holidaymakers in 2013 with Canada its largest source market accounting for over one million arrivals that year. Other key markets for Cuba include the UK, France and Italy. In 2013 there was also a notable increase in the number of people from Argentina, Mexico, Spain Russia and Venezuela who chose to take Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...