Cuba prepares to host the 24th edition of the International Ballet Festival
The 24th edition of Havana's International Ballet Festival will soon be kicking off in a couple of weeks' time, starting 28th October with numerous performances taking the stage until 7th November. Dedicated to English playwright, William Shakespeare, Cuba's capital will see the participation of ballet groups from 61different countries around the world, including the New York City Ballet and groups from Belgium, Germany, Denmark, South Africa, Italy, Hong Kong, France and more.
Next 28th October, the Karl Marx theatre in Havana will be officially opening the city’s 24th International Ballet Festival (24 Festival Internacional de Ballet en La Habana) which will take place over the space of two weeks, with the last performance scheduled for 7th November.
On this year’s edition the festival will be dedicated to the works of English playwright, William Shakespeare, which means that many ballet pieces inspired on his works will be performed over the course of the event’s duration.
Organisers of the event also announced that this edition of the festival would also be paying tribute to the recently deceased Fernando Alonso, co-founder of the Cuban National Ballet in 1948 (along with his famous wife, Alicia Alonso, Cuban prima ballerina assoluta), on the centenary of his birthday. His contribution to Cuba’s ballet scene will be celebrated with a series of magisterial conferences and other commemorative activities.
Heriberto Cabezas, coordinator of this year’s festival, recently explained during a press conference, how in previous editions the festival had counted with the participation of prime international ballet figures and foreign soloists, highlighting the presence of American dancers, such as New York’s Hispanic Ballet, Pontus Lidberg Dance, the Linga Company, the New York City Ballet and Cincinatti.
Audiences attending this year’s 24th edition will be able to enjoy the performances of ballet groups from the UK, Belgium, France, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Hong Kong, China, South Africa, Uruguay, Chile, Puerto Rico, Portugal, and Puerto Rico, among others.
The historian of the Ballet Nacional de Cuba (BNC), Miguel Cabrera, added that this year’s festival will become the oldest of its kind in the world, with the participation of 61 countries, the presence of 73 foreign ballet companies and 981 performances throughout all of its history.
He also explained that this year the festival would open at the Karl Marx theatre with the show Shakespeare and His Masks, inaugurated by Cuba’s prima ballerina assoluta, 92-year-old, Alicia Alonso, while the Mella theatre would host the international guest performers and two of the National Theatre’s auditoriums would be the stages for combined performances and Swan Lake.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...