Aerolineas Argentinas to operate new flights to Cuba, Mexico and the Dominican Republic
Argentina's flagship carrier, Aerolineas Argentinas (AA) has announced that starting January next year they'll be flying to a new range of Caribbean destinations, namely Cuba, Mexico and the Dominican Republic. The South American airline seeks to profit from the sizeable (and growing) market of Argentinean tourists choosing the Caribbean as their favoured holiday destination.
Starting January next year, Aerolineas Argentinas (AA) will start flying to Cuba as well as to other new destinations in the Caribbean as part of a plan to expand their routes to this geographical area.
The news was confirmed very recently by Mariano Recalde, the airline's president, who also explained to Prensa Latina the decision for such a move:
"We decided to fly to Havana and Punta Canca because up until this point those destinations had been served by foreign airline companies, bringing them revenues of between 15 and 18 million dollars per month
"The idea is not to get more Argentineans to travel to the Caribbean, but to allow Aerolineas to participate and take a chunk of that market which looks extremely attractive from a commercial point of view."
The first Buenos Aires - Havana flight will take off on Sunday 4th January 2015, the same month that the new routes to Cancun, Mexico and Punta Cana, Dominican Republic will commence operations, all with stopover in Caracas, Venezuela. The aircraft for these new flights will be a Boeing 737-800 with capacity for up to 170 passengers.
In the case of Cuba, for example, Argentina is the main tourism market responsible for sending the largest number of holidaymakers from South America to the Caribbean island. A total of 94, 697 Argentine tourists flew to the island in 2012, 90,084 flew there in 2013 and this year, in the period from January to August, a total of 50,586 of them have taken Cuba holidays.
Most of these tourists have made their Cuba journey flying with LAN, COPA, TACA and Cubana de Aviacion, although Ecuatorian airline Tame and Colombian airline Avianca have also joined in over the last few months.
AA will start flying to Punta Cana on Saturday 3rd January with three weekly flights (Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday), whilst a twice-weekly flight frequency has been established for Cuba on Sundays and Wednesdays. The new route to Cancun will depart on Mondays and Fridays.
Recalde also added that starting April next year new routes to Quito and Guayaquil in Ecuador would kick off.
"This means that once again the continent's flagship will be present" - he said, as those Ecuador routes, previously serviced by Spanish carriers had been closed down.
With this new expansion AA's air operations will increase by 15 per cent in 2015 whilst their number of seats will grow by 16 per cent.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Nacional De Cuba hotel is considered a symbol of history, culture and Cuban identity
- Iberostar Laguna Azul offers 15 bars and restaurants, and worldwide cuisines
- Enjoy watersports including windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, paddleboats, and snorkelling
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...