Aerolineas Argentinas to operate new flights to Cuba, Mexico and the Dominican Republic
Argentina's flagship carrier, Aerolineas Argentinas (AA) has announced that starting January next year they'll be flying to a new range of Caribbean destinations, namely Cuba, Mexico and the Dominican Republic. The South American airline seeks to profit from the sizeable (and growing) market of Argentinean tourists choosing the Caribbean as their favoured holiday destination.
Starting January next year, Aerolineas Argentinas (AA) will start flying to Cuba as well as to other new destinations in the Caribbean as part of a plan to expand their routes to this geographical area.
The news was confirmed very recently by Mariano Recalde, the airline's president, who also explained to Prensa Latina the decision for such a move:
"We decided to fly to Havana and Punta Canca because up until this point those destinations had been served by foreign airline companies, bringing them revenues of between 15 and 18 million dollars per month
"The idea is not to get more Argentineans to travel to the Caribbean, but to allow Aerolineas to participate and take a chunk of that market which looks extremely attractive from a commercial point of view."
The first Buenos Aires - Havana flight will take off on Sunday 4th January 2015, the same month that the new routes to Cancun, Mexico and Punta Cana, Dominican Republic will commence operations, all with stopover in Caracas, Venezuela. The aircraft for these new flights will be a Boeing 737-800 with capacity for up to 170 passengers.
In the case of Cuba, for example, Argentina is the main tourism market responsible for sending the largest number of holidaymakers from South America to the Caribbean island. A total of 94, 697 Argentine tourists flew to the island in 2012, 90,084 flew there in 2013 and this year, in the period from January to August, a total of 50,586 of them have taken Cuba holidays.
Most of these tourists have made their Cuba journey flying with LAN, COPA, TACA and Cubana de Aviacion, although Ecuatorian airline Tame and Colombian airline Avianca have also joined in over the last few months.
AA will start flying to Punta Cana on Saturday 3rd January with three weekly flights (Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday), whilst a twice-weekly flight frequency has been established for Cuba on Sundays and Wednesdays. The new route to Cancun will depart on Mondays and Fridays.
Recalde also added that starting April next year new routes to Quito and Guayaquil in Ecuador would kick off.
"This means that once again the continent's flagship will be present" - he said, as those Ecuador routes, previously serviced by Spanish carriers had been closed down.
With this new expansion AA's air operations will increase by 15 per cent in 2015 whilst their number of seats will grow by 16 per cent.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...