Dubai promotes family travel as visitor numbers peak
Dubai positions itself as a 'must-visit family destination' and welcomes record numbers of tourists for the first half of this year. Tourism officials in the emirate say this is due to their ever-increasing hotel portfolio to appeal and cater to a broader range of visitors as well as their diversification of tourism products and unique attractions.
Dubai intends to drive growth in tourism by positioning itself as a "must-experience family destination", according to Director General of Dubai's Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing Helal Saeed Almarri.
His comments came after the government department published figures revealing record visitor numbers to the country in the first half of this year. Saeed explained:
"We are constantly diversifying our tourism offering and increasing our hotel portfolio to attract, and cater to, a broader market of visitors."
Hotels are helping to enhance the appeal of Dubai as a family holiday destination by offering excellent kids clubs and entertainment programs, with Ritz-Carlton Hotels introducing the Ritz Kids program earlier this year, for instance. Elsewhere, Dubai's family tourism offering includes the popular Aquaventure water theme park, and Magic Planet, an enormous indoor family entertainment centre.
More than 5.8 million people travelled to Dubai during the first six months of 2014, which is the highest number of visitors to the country ever recorded. The Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DTCM) reported increases across key indicators including the number of hotel guests and hotel room revenues.
Saeed also explained:
"The figures for the first half of 2014 are encouraging and we continue to build on this growth to ensure a successful second half of the year.
"In addition to the increase in hotel guest numbers, since the end of June 2013, Dubai has added more than 7,000 hotel rooms to its inventory, with the total now standing at 88,680 across 634 establishments."
Total hotel revenues for the first half of 2014 showed significant growth, up 10.9% on the previous year.
The average length of stay for visitors to Dubai has also been steadily increasing as the country strives to become more than a stop-over or short break destination. Travellers now stay for an average of 3.9 days, with the length of stay increasing to 3.4 days for hotels, and 5.7 days for hotel apartments in 2014.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
The location on the world famous Palm Jumeirah, provides superb access to white sandy beaches
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai shopping malls
- FREE Half Board upgrade- Dine-around Half Board in over 60 Restaurants and Lounges
- Complimentary UNLIMITED access to Wild Wadi Water Park including shuttle transfer
Intercontinental Mauritius + Hyatt Regency Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most picturesque parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages
Capture the wonders of India before an amazing chance to visit Dubai
- Dubai's only rooftop revolving restaurant
- Experience a typically Indian meal with a Rajasthani family
- Explore the city palace in Jaipur
The perfect twin centre combination of Mauritius & Dubai
- With amazing facilities and stunning views Dubai, what better base to explore this amazing city
- Stunning and peaceful resort on the east coast of Mauritius, boasting bright, fresh and contemporary designs
- Enjoy all watersports including windsurfing, canoes, pedal boats and much more at Solana in Mauritius
Savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm and enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine. One of the most...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, Jumeirah Zabeel Saray is an exclusive and...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Take a chance to explore the lively Al Barsha district as well as the many attractions Dubai has to offer at DoubleTree...
With all the modern facilities and comforts you would expect from a 4* hotel, this hotel is set within central Al Barsha...