Melia Hotels removes shark fin from its menus in Asia Pacific
The Asia Pacific Region of Melia Hotels International has announced that it will remove shark fin from its menus of its restaurants in its Melia hotels in the region to help protect the marine species. Millions of sharks are hunted killed every year for their fins which are the used in many Asian countries in a traditional soup.
The Asia Pacific Region of Melia Hotels International announced earlier this week that shark fins will be removed from the menus of its restaurants in the region to help protect the species.
Melia hotels will also remove the shark fins from all events held at its facilities in the region as art of a commitment to sustainability.
Every year, between 70 million and 100 million sharks are hunted and killed for their fins which are used as a key ingredient in soups in China and as a delicacy in many Asian countries.
The marine world’s leading predators are killed in a cruel act which involves the shark being hauled onto a boat, its fins cut off, and the rest of the body is then thrown back into the ocean where it will drown or bleed to death.
Sharks play a vital role in the food chain by eliminating the weakest prey, maintaining balance with competitors, and guaranteeing the diversity of marine species. They provide habitats for coral reefs and algae and if sharks were eliminated in coral reef ecosystems, this could allow other predators to feed on herbivores whose loss would lead to the increased growth of macroalgae which kills off the corals. If the ecosystem is dominated by algae, the survival of the reef is endangered and the marine environment is unbalanced.
The brutal practice of shark finning was recently strictly banned by the European Union, after nearly ten years of campaigning.
Melia Hotels has taken the measures as part of the Global Sustainability and CSR policy and the hotel group believes that sustainability can only be achieved if the impact of operations on the natural environment is identified both locally and across the world.
The hotel group is committed to protecting the biological diversity and reducing the impact of its activities at all of its luxury hotels that it manages in countries worldwide.
Melia Hotels International is a Spanish-based hotel group that operates more than 26 hotels in Cuba and 350 hotels in total in 35 countries across the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable adventure at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Exciting marine and entertainment attractions that the whole family can enjoy
- Free Half Board with a wide range of dining options
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Immersive tour that will introduce you to India - Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour
- Experience the bustling street life of Delhi, a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj Mahal of Agra
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Peace, relaxation and luxury come as standard in this amazing Indian Ocean getaway
- Easy access to the buzzing capital city of Male, where you can extend your experience of the Maldives
- Benefit from water bungalows that allow unfettered access to the ocean waters and feature private sun decks
- The main restaurants’ theme nights highlight cuisines from around the world ranging from Asian to Western dishes
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...