Cuba celebrated 11th Latin American Skydiving Championship
The 11th edition of the Latin American Skydiving Championship reached it climax yesterday, when the winners of the 1st Friendship Cup were announced in Varadero, Cuba. Won by the Brazilian team, the event took place over last week and saw Cuba welcoming participants from all over the world to compete in the categories of team accuracy landing and individual accuracy landing.
Just last week, Cuba became host of the 11th Latin American Skydiving Championship, with the 1st Skydiving Friendship Cup (Copa de la Amistad) having played out in Varadero from 14th to 20th July.
The sporting event concluded yesterday and the 1st Skydiving Friendship Cup was won by the Brazilian team, followed by the Cuban team in second and third place.
Over 50 athletes from all over Latin America participated in the tournament, competing in the precision landing mode and representing 10 different nations from all over the world, including Qatar, Chile, Argentina, Russia, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru and Bosnia Herzegovina. All participants competed in the categories of individual and team accuracy landing.
It all took place in Varadero's International Skydiving Centre (Centro Internacional de Paracaidismo), a fantastically well-equipped facility that sees hundreds of tourists each year come to skydive with a team of internationally-trained local experts.
The competing skydivers were accommodated at the Villa Tortuga Hotel, a charming 3-star all inclusive resort perfectly located at the entrance of the Varadero village, beautifully surrounded by lush vegetation and exuding a relaxing laidback feel.
The president of the organising committee, Omar Gomez, said of the event:
"The Latin American feeling of brotherhood could be felt in both competitions"
The female category of individual accuracy landing was won by Cuban girls Marisol Maldonado, Dalia Bejerano and Elizabeth Hernandez, in first, second and third place respectively.
The individual modality for males was won by Cuban Yosbel Sanchez in first place, Brazilian Rodrigo Concalvez in second place and Cuban Oscar Arteaga Collado in third.
On the male group category, first place went to Brazilian, Diego Gabriel Da Silva, followed by his compatriot Rodrigo Concalvez in second place and Argentinean Fernando Conil in third.
The Fair Play award went to Brazilian Marcelo Ricci.
Varadero is a small coastal town in western Cuba, in the province of Matanzas. This small village is home to Cuba's longest and most famous stretch of pristine beach lined by world-class hotels and resorts and favoured by worldwide travellers seeking sun, sand and sea in spectacular natural surroundings.
The International Skydiving Centre in Varadero offers tourists an unforgettable experience during their holidays with every thrill guaranteed. Since its opening in 1993 it has seen thousands of visitors skydiving into the sparkling white sands of Varadero beach.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...