Havana to host 2014's Red Bull Cliff Diving for the first time ever
For the first time in its six years of existence, the now world-famous Red Bull's Cliff Diving World Series will be partly hosted in Cuba to kick off the competition's 2014 edition. The location selected as the backdrop scenario for this extreme sporting event is the Morro Castle, an iconic fortress standing high above the sea, with cliffs that dramatically drop into the warm Caribbean Sea.
One of the most shockingly exciting and extreme diving feats, the Cliff Diving World Series, sponsored by Red Bull will be kicking off this year, for the first time ever, in Cuba’s wondrous and historical capital city. The place chosen for this years’ diving edition is the Morro Castle, a magnificent colonial fortress standing high above Havana’s bay. The dramatic drop-off point will be a 27-metre-high platform on the castle, from which this year’s daredevil divers will bravely jump into warm Caribbean waters.
Havana has been chosen as this year’s first hosting city, the one that will inaugurate the Red Bull Cliff Diving Series 2014 on 9th May. The diving competition will take place from 9th to 10th May and the public will be able to take part for free. So, if you happen to be planning Cuba holidays in Havana during the first half of May, this is a one-of-a-kind event not to miss, one that won’t be ticketed with entrance to the spectator area being completely free of charge. You’ll only concern will be arriving early enough to land the best spot to watch the most spectacular diving pirouettes.
This extreme sport, now in its sixth year of running, sees some of the world’s most amazing professional divers battling in out in a series of dives (four per diver to be precise) performed from a height that ranges between 26-28 metres. Every dive will score the diver a determined amount of points depending on the execution, and the sum of all these points, accumulated throughout all four dives, determines the all-round winner as well as the second, third, fourth and fifth position. The top five divers in the overall ranking automatically pre-qualify for the next year’s edition of the Red Bull’s Cliff Diving Series.
A group of judges scores the dives and the 2014 wildcards have already been announced and 16 of these are already confirmed. A total of 70 divers from 12 different countries will participate in this year’s edition without counting the wildcard participants. Up to four wildcards will join the ten permanent divers at each diving stop in 2014. There will be seven stops across three continents and only one champion. Stops include countries in the Caribbean, Europe, North and South America. Out of all these, Havana, Bilbao and Texas are brand new destinations where the event will be launching for the first time. A truly jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring and exciting competition if there’s ever been one, so don’t miss it if you can…it’s always a great excuse to plan a holiday around!
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Head to one of the Caribbean's liveliest cities, then move on to a luxury beach resort
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-hour all-inclusive services
- Rooftop swimming pool and Jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Combine discovering the colonial architecture, history and rich culture of Havana with basking upon Caribbean beaches...