Havana to host 2014's Red Bull Cliff Diving for the first time ever
For the first time in its six years of existence, the now world-famous Red Bull's Cliff Diving World Series will be partly hosted in Cuba to kick off the competition's 2014 edition. The location selected as the backdrop scenario for this extreme sporting event is the Morro Castle, an iconic fortress standing high above the sea, with cliffs that dramatically drop into the warm Caribbean Sea.
One of the most shockingly exciting and extreme diving feats, the Cliff Diving World Series, sponsored by Red Bull will be kicking off this year, for the first time ever, in Cuba’s wondrous and historical capital city. The place chosen for this years’ diving edition is the Morro Castle, a magnificent colonial fortress standing high above Havana’s bay. The dramatic drop-off point will be a 27-metre-high platform on the castle, from which this year’s daredevil divers will bravely jump into warm Caribbean waters.
Havana has been chosen as this year’s first hosting city, the one that will inaugurate the Red Bull Cliff Diving Series 2014 on 9th May. The diving competition will take place from 9th to 10th May and the public will be able to take part for free. So, if you happen to be planning Cuba holidays in Havana during the first half of May, this is a one-of-a-kind event not to miss, one that won’t be ticketed with entrance to the spectator area being completely free of charge. You’ll only concern will be arriving early enough to land the best spot to watch the most spectacular diving pirouettes.
This extreme sport, now in its sixth year of running, sees some of the world’s most amazing professional divers battling in out in a series of dives (four per diver to be precise) performed from a height that ranges between 26-28 metres. Every dive will score the diver a determined amount of points depending on the execution, and the sum of all these points, accumulated throughout all four dives, determines the all-round winner as well as the second, third, fourth and fifth position. The top five divers in the overall ranking automatically pre-qualify for the next year’s edition of the Red Bull’s Cliff Diving Series.
A group of judges scores the dives and the 2014 wildcards have already been announced and 16 of these are already confirmed. A total of 70 divers from 12 different countries will participate in this year’s edition without counting the wildcard participants. Up to four wildcards will join the ten permanent divers at each diving stop in 2014. There will be seven stops across three continents and only one champion. Stops include countries in the Caribbean, Europe, North and South America. Out of all these, Havana, Bilbao and Texas are brand new destinations where the event will be launching for the first time. A truly jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring and exciting competition if there’s ever been one, so don’t miss it if you can…it’s always a great excuse to plan a holiday around!
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Explore two different sides of Cuba with excellent range of facilities and entertainments
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling at Iberostar Tainos
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from Nh Capri's rooftop swimming pool
- Explore downtown Havana and enjoy a comfortable and relaxing stay in your legendary Havana Hotel
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Seize this opportunity to explore Cuba's mystical and ancient capital from top to bottom, savouring its enduring...
Discover for yourself the historical riches of Cuba with a once-in-a-lifetime visit to its enigmatic capital Havana. On...