American residents embrace Cuba through people-to-people programmes
Following a recent study, the U.S tour operator Friendly Planet has revealed that the majority of its clients who visited Cuba under its people-to-people programme would like to return to the island if they had the opportunity. The tour enables Americans and Cubans to exchange ideas, share cultural experiences and learn from one another.
The "people-to-people" programme to Cuba offered by U.S tour operator Friendly Planet is proving to be a hit with travellers according to the results of a recent survey.
The Pennsylvania-based tour company carried out a survey on clients who went on the organised tour to Cuba and discovered that 81.3 per cent of the travellers said they would return to Cuba if given the chance.
Peggy Goldman, the President of Friendly Planet, commented:
"This is the highest level of interest in revisiting a location that I have ever seen for any of our tours."
She explained that although the accommodation was not of the highest standards and the daily itineraries and their schedules were busy and challenging, the majority of the clients were keen to find out more about life in a country that has been off limits to most Americans for more than 50 years.
Itineraries must comply fully with U.S. rules barring sun-and-sand tourism, and encouraging tourists to engage with the culture and residents of the island.
The Cuba people people-to-people programme has been designed to help Americans and Cubans exchange ideas, share cultural experiences and learn from one another.
Goldman also added:
"Travellers on these programmes are not going for luxury or comfort. They are going to interact and immerse themselves in a completely different culture."
In 2011, President Obama eased restriction on Cuba travel for American residents and now U.S travellers can visit the Caribbean island through licensed tour operators for cultural, educational, academic and religious purposes.
In September, 2011, Friendly Planet received its license from the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
After the trip, 88 per cent of the tour operator's clients said that the experience has made them more likely to support the end of the 50-year-old embargo, and many of them were surprised by how friendly and open the people of Cuba were to the Americans.
"This illustrates for us that the people-to-people experience opens minds, expands horizons and allows people to look past politics and into the hearts and souls of individuals."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...