FCO lifts travel restrictions for UK tourists planning holidays to Egypt
Egypt is looking forward to welcoming back tourists from the UK, following the recent announcement from the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office that it has lifted its advice against all but essential travel to the whole of the country. Restrictions to Luxor, Aswan and Cairo have been lifted this month, all of which are popular destinations for holidaymakers.
UK travellers are being encouraged to once again visit Egypt, after the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office lifted its advice against all but essential travel to the country this month.
Restrictions to Luxor, Aswan and Cairo have all been lifted this month, which is good news for tourists planning to visit Egypt, and the country's tourism industry.
Omayma El Husseini, the Egyptian Tourism Authority Director for UK and Ireland, stated:
"We could not be more pleased by the FCO's additional revision – Egypt's capital is open for business! UK travellers can now return and enjoy the world renowned historical attractions in Cairo as well as the city itself. We look forward to welcoming the British and Irish back."
The travel restrictions were put in place in July this year, following the overthrow of President Mohamed Morsi and an increase in terrorism attacks on police and security forces.
Many travel companies who provide package holidays to Egypt have had to put them on hold for months but the lift in restrictions means that many can resume these once again.
"FCO Travel Advice is kept under constant review. Relaxation of our 'Travel Advice' for Cairo is a reflection of our assessment of the current threat facing British Nationals. We no longer advise against all but essential travel to Cairo. This includes the entire governorates of Cairo and Giza."
Explained an FCO spokesperson.
Each year, millions of international tourists travel to Egypt to explore the country's incredible historical offerings. Holidaymakers can take cruises up the River Nile and visit ancient temples such as the Temple of Karnak, Luxor Temple, and Valley of the Kings. The renowned pyramids can be found in Giza on the outskirts of Cairo, and the largest Egyptian pyramid is the Pyramid of Khufu.
Diving enthusiasts can enjoy excellent scuba diving conditions in Red Sea resorts such as Sharm el Sheik and Hurghada, where there are also a large number of luxury hotels and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports on offer
Cruise on the world's longest river with 7000 years of history while enjoying 21st century comfort on the cruise liner featuring superb amenities.
- Enjoy nightly entertainment at the Lounge with its resident DJ, drinks and dancing.
- The Cruise allows you to discover the stunning sights and attractions of the River Nile in comfort.
- The hotel ship offers a comprehensive program of sightseeing which is accompanied by an expert guide.
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonders, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Radamis II Nile Cruise
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Radamis II Nile Cruise from £249pp
Enjoy a memorable and romantic holiday in Egypt
- Benefit from the Sonesta Star Goddess Spa and enjoy a relaxing massage after a busy day of excursions
- Suites made for your comfortable stay with the best view
- Enjoy the swimming pool or relax on the sun deck where you can have a cocktail
Enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the all-inclusive Hilton Hurghada Resort in Egypt and discover a...
Le Meridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a short...
Le Méridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a...
AMC Royal Hotel is situated on the sandy beach of the Red Sea inbetween Hurghada and El Gouna. The resort overlooks its...
Enjoying a central location in Luxor, directly on the banks of the Nile and within 10 min walking distance from Luxor...
Experience the thrill of a jaunt to the famous Valley of the Kings as you explore one of Egypt's touristic gems, Luxor....