Costa Rica's Arenal Volcano sparks tourism hopes
Interest in booking holidays to Costa Rica has received a boost as the iconic Arenal Volcano shows sign of life for the first time in two years. Local hotels, travel agencies and restaurants in the town of La Fortuna- home to the Arenal Volcano know all too well the positive impact that the recent activity can have on local tourism with adventure seekers and nature lovers all eager to witness the majestic volcano in action.
The tourism industry in Costa Rica got an injection of energy as one of its main natural attractions, Arenal Volcano, woke up from its nearly two year slumber.
At the beginning of September residents of La Fortuna awoke to the sight of a steam column rising from Costa Rica's iconic volcano and with that a spark of excitement ignited among residents at the prospect of a tourism boom for the town of La Fortuna in Costa Rica's northwest region.
Hotel owners, restaurant managers, shop owners, tour guides and residents all noted the potential opportunity of the Arenal Volcano given the appeal witnessing a semi dormant or active volcano will hold for adventure seekers and eco conscious holidaymakers alike.
"I fully expect that these volcanic emissions will continue. Since they began, reports on online social networks have turned into phone calls from foreigners who are calling me asking for details. A caller from the United States told me he was willing to travel immediately from Miami."
Noted one restaurateur. Similarly one travel agency noted in an interview with local newspaper, La Teja, that the recent volcanic activity had sparked an interest in Costa Rica holidays from European holidaymakers.
It all seems to be coming together for Costa Rica's tourism industry. The recent attention that the Arenal Volcano has attracted comes at a time when Costa Rica, like many countries battling against the global economic downturn, is seeking ways to stand out as an attractive holiday destination with something unique to offer.
Notably, Costa Rica has been making strides in its marketing efforts, recently the Costa Rican Tourism Board unveiled their goCostaRica iPad app aimed at allowing potential visitors to see all that Costa Rica has to offer with a series of videos, photos and interactive maps covering 33 different locations across Costa Rica including the Arenal Volcano.
"Tablet usage for travel research is up, and because there are so many rich experiences in Costa Rica – from the rainforest and Arenal Volcano to the butterfly garden and Manuel Antonio National Park – we're lowering the barrier of entry for people who are curious about the country by giving them a preview of what's possible."
Noted John Stapelton, Chief Creative Director at 22squared the advertising agency behind the application.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters
- Learn more about Costa Rica with the unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot to learn about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
This holiday offers a fantastic base to explore Costa Rica, or relax in splendid surroundings
- Enjoy long summer days on a secluded beach or discover the rich natural ecology of the area
- Those looking for an active holiday can try horse riding, kayaking, windsurfing, hiking and mountain biking
- Ultimate Savings and upgrades for Summer 2019 when booking before 31st January
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all its gems on this in-depth tour with a fabulous beach stay at the end
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
With shimmering white beaches and lush tropical jungle, Dreams Las Mareas Costa Rica is the perfect getaway for the...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Embrace the rich diversity of Costa Rica and open your eyes to new experiences as you venture to Costa Rica for a...
With a good choice of amenities and perfect location, Occidental Tamarindo is a brilliant holiday choice for families...