Caribbean airline launches new flights between Cuba and Jamaica
This week Cuban short-haul airline, Aerogaviota, officially launched a new route servicing Jamaica and connecting the capital city of Havana to Jamaica's popular beach resort of Montego Bay. The airline, which already operated regular scheduled flights to Kingston thrice weekly from Havana will now offer a once weekly service to the famed white sands of Montego Bay, giving tourists more options when it comes to planning twin-centre holidays to Cuba and Jamaica.
Last Monday, Cuban regional airline Aerogaviota expanded its services to Jamaica with a new route between Montego Bay and Havana.
After three years of operating chartered flights between both countries' capitals, Aerogaviota, Cuba's youngest airline, has now connected Cuba's vibrant and exciting capital city of Havana to the powdery soft white sands of Montego Bay – Jamaica's favourite beach resort – with a new thrice weekly scheduled service.
Thus enhancing the options for tourists seeking twin-centre holidays to Cuba and Jamaica, the new scheduled flights between Havana and Montego Bay will serve a growing number of travellers seeking to experience these two neighbouring Caribbean islands.
After an official ceremony that took place on 26th August at Jamaica's Norman Manley Airport, the first Havana-Holguin-Montego Bay flight departed from Havana to mark the start of the new regular flights which would follow make a stop first in Cuba's tranquil beachside retreat of Holguin before reaching its final destination in the trendy Jamaica beach resort of Montego Bay.
With this new route another simultaneous route also launched, connecting Havana to Cuba's eastern province of Santiago de Cuba and Jamaica's capital city of Kingston. This means that Cuba and Jamaica will be now linked via three weekly flights on Mondays and Tuesdays with the Havana-Santiago de Cuba-Kingston route and the Havana-Holguin-Montego-Bay on Wednesdays.
According to the ambassador of Cuba in Jamaica, Yuri Gala, this new route will contribute to strengthening the ties of friendship and bilateral cooperation between the two Caribbean nations. Gala said:
"The launch will facilitate the flow of passengers between both countries. In a way this will also help the multi-destination component in our bilateral relationship.I think it will be an additional tool in our joint effort to not only maintain the dynamic and very close relationships that we have, but to take it to another level."
Also speaking at the launch on behalf of Jamaica's Ministry of Transport, Water and Housing, Dr Morais Guy revealed that the new partnership was a win-win situation for both countries that would add diversity to tourists' travelling options. Dr Guy said:
"We take pride in welcoming this group partnership."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...