Discover Cuba's other Varadero at the Varahicacos Ecological Reserve
Varadero Beach is one of the most popular travel destinations in Cuba and every year, thousands of holidaymakers flock to the area to soak up the sunshine and breathtaking scenery. However, at the other end of the Hicacos Peninsula sits the thriving Varahicacos Ecological Reserve, known as the Other Varadero.
The Caribbean island of Cuba is becoming an increasingly popular travel destination for curious travellers and Varadero Beach on the Hicacos Peninsula is among the leading hotspots for visitors.
Varadero Beach is a favourite with holidaymakers who are seeking sunshine and breathtaking natural scenery thanks to its white sandy shores and turquoise ocean waters.
While Varadero attracts thousands of tourists every year, further along the Hicacos Peninsula sits the thriving Varahicacos Ecological Reserve, which is known as the Other Varadero.
The area boasts 124 acres of lush forests that are thriving with flora and fauna, mangroves, and an abundance of wildlife such as lizards, butterflies, and mollusc shelters.
The Ministry of Science Technology and Environment (CITMA) carried out a study of the nature reserve which supports a natural space and provides an alternative to beach tourism, creating a "Protected Area" in the Cuban national system that is home to 220 plant species, 159 birds and over 40 animal species, including the lizard Aristelliger Reyensi, which was recently discovered by one of the workers.
Those interested in eco-friendly holidays can also visit the area's archaeological and pictographic sites which are home to a collection of caves. These include "La Cueva de Ambrosio" (Ambrosio's Cave) which spans an area of 300 metres and is divided into five rooms. The main features of the caves are the fifty aboriginal pictographs which are painted in red and black and said to be more than two thousand years old.
One of the main attractions in Varahicacos is the Patriarch, the Giant Cactus, which is said to be the oldest tree in Cuba and sits intact between two large hotels.
Located in the north-western province of Matanzas, 140 kilometres east of Cuba's capital Havana, Varadero Beach has an array of oceanfront hotels and all inclusive resorts, gourmet restaurants, and a full size golf course.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...