Barbados beaches on the West Coast in process of being improved
Barbados beaches along the west coast are undergoing a significant transformation as part of the Holetown Waterfront Improvement project. The project has been put in place to tackle the ongoing problem of coastal erosion and it will be protecting 1.5 km of shoreline in the Holetown area of the Caribbean island.
Several beaches in the Holetown area of Barbados are being protected as part of the Holetown Waterfront Improvement project.
Barbados beaches along the Holetown stretch are being improved using techniques that have been successful on the Caribbean island's south coast such as breakwaters, groynes, headlands and beach nourishment.
The main purpose of the programme is to manage and prevent coastal erosion in the area and the four main objectives that will help improve many Barbados beaches include: shoreline stabilisation and erosion control; restoration of coastal habitats; improvement of public coastal access; and institutional strengthening for coastal management.
Groynes will be created at Colony Beach Club and Heron Bay, while Folkestone Marine Park is undergoing extensive work close to the Surfside Restaurant and bar and north of the area, just offshore.
Dr. Lorna Inniss, the Acting director of Barbados' Coastal Management Unit has stressed that the beaches are still very much open to locals and visitors alike but contractors are advising people to stay away from construction areas.
"The beach is not closed. The active construction zone, they are encouraging people to stay out and they are trying to make sure that they do in the area where the vehicles are, but the beach is not closed - no it is not," she explained.
The Holetown Waterfront Improvement project started in April, 2013 and will continue until 30th November, 2013.
Barbados is an island nation located in the North Atlantic Ocean, north east of Venezuela. The destination is a hotspot for tourists thanks to its wide selection of luxurious beachfront hotels and resorts, pristine white sugar-soft beaches, lush golf courses, gourmet restaurants and lively bars and nightclubs.
In Barbados, tourists can trek through lush nature reserves such as the Graeme Hall Nature Sanctuary and the Farley Hill National Park; shop in stylish boutiques and traditional street markets; visit the historic towns of Holetown, Speightstown, and the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Bridgetown; or scuba dive and snorkel along thriving reefs in crystal clear turquoise ocean waters.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
The Rostrevor Hotel is a great value, family-run hotel on a prime beachfront setting in St Lawrence Gap , the fashionable and lively strip of Barbados
- September Sale now on with discounts of up to 15% off all rooms and a Special offer in Superior Ocean Front Studios
- Easy access to the shops, bars & restaurants of fashionable St. Lawrence Gap
- Boasts several Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence and a 2016 Travellers' Choice Award
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
- FREE roadtrip airport transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- September Sale with up to 40% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE for stays in 2018 and 2019
Sample an assortment of fun activities for a relaxing holiday to remember at Treasure Beach by Elegant Hotels
- Incredible Savings of up to 50% off all rooms
- Enjoy a complimentary Chef's Dinner and a Daily Hour of complimentary drinks at the Sunset Cocktail hour included in your stay
- Boutique art-focused hotel with thirty-five spacious suites
Sugar Bay Barbados is perfect for discovering Bajan Paradise in an All Inclusive Resort
- Premium All Inclusive hotel with a selection of dining options including a Steakhouse
- September Sale now on with savings of upto 40% PLUS $20 Spa Credit per person
- Enjoy a wide selection of activities including beach volleyball, wind surfing, jet skis, sailing and more
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, as the elegant eco-friendly...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...