Grandmother to set off on Charity Bike Ride across Cuba
A 67-year-old British grandmother is preparing for a 400km bike ride across the Caribbean island of Cuba to raise money for a cancer charity. While most people take Cuba holidays for sunshine and relaxation, Gill Dutton from Hadleigh in Suffolk, will be hopping on her bike for five days of sponsored cycling.
A British grandmother is gearing up for a bike ride across Cuba in an attempt to raise money for a cancer charity.
While most people head off on their Cuba holidays for sunshine, sandy beaches and relaxation, 67-year-old Gill Dutton from Hadleigh in Suffolk will be donning her cycling gear and riding 400km across the Caribbean island in just five days.
The super-fit grandmother will be raising money for the cancer charity Women V Cancer which supports Breast cancer care, Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust and Ovarian Cancer Action.
Gill, a retired hairdresser, is a keen cyclist and has previously been on three cycling holidays around Europe over the years.
The cold British winter weather has hampered her training for her trip to Cuba.
"I haven't really been able to get out on my bike much, as I am waiting for the weather to warm up," Gill explained. "But I keep fit playing golf, tennis and doing Pilates. I play tennis every week, even in the winter, and am quite sporty for my age."
She said she wanted to travel to Cuba because it is for "such a brilliant cause".
"I felt I should do something to help people, especially as cervical cancer is not that well known," Gill commented.
Before Gill boards her flight to Cuba, she needs to raise £2,900 in sponsorship and has already organised several events, including a coffee morning which raised £300. The next fundraising event will be a quiz night taking place at the Ansell Centre on 20th April 20.
Gill can be sponsored at to www.justgiving.com/gilly-dutton.
Cuba is an island nation located in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is boasts cultural attractions, heritage and history and during holidays to Cuba, visitors can relax on pristine white and golden sand beaches; swim in turquoise ocean waters; explore and the world's second largest barrier reef.
There is a wide selection of mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels and resorts to choose from and holidaymakers of all ages can enjoy holidays in Cuba thanks to its coastal resort towns with fun watersports; historical and vibrant cities such as the capital, Havana; and thriving nature reserves including the Gran Parque Nacional Sierra Maestra.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...