Cuba to host 5th edition of the Montecristo Golf Cup
Cuba is getting ready to host the fifth Montecristo Golf Cup this April. The event will take place from the 26th to 27th April and will be hosted at the Varadero Golf Club. If the success of last year's event is anything to go by, then tourism officials can expect to attract visitors from across the globe- highlighting the opportunity that golf in Cuba holds for the island's tourism industry.
Some of the world's best golfers will be preparing to golf in Varadero following the Cuban Ministry of Tourism's announcement that the Caribbean island will host the fifth Montecristo Golf Cup this April from the 25th to the 27th. The tournament, sponsored by Habanos maker of the world's finest cigars, will be held in the stunning resort town of Varadero at the Varadero Golf Club.
Registration will open on 25th April followed by two tournament days, the best individual net score from these two days will determine the winner of the 2013 Montecristo Cup. The awards dinner will be held on the 27th April at the Xanadu Mansion.
Od the event, Tony Jacklin, British golfer and winner of both The Open and the US Open stated, "Cuba is an ideal location for golf tournaments and has a bright future with regards to courses. The Montecristo Cup and Esencia Cup tournaments lead the way offering a challenging and enjoyable game... plus where else can you light up a cigar and strike the ball!"
The previous edition of the tournament attracted golfers from across 100 different countries and regions highlighting the opportunity that golf in Cuba holds for the island's tourism industry. An opportunity that has not gone unnoticed by Cuba's tourism officials. Since Fidel Castro's retirement, officials have declared that Cuba will be investing heavily in golf tourism as the island seeks to diversify its tourism brand away from a mere sun, sea and sand destination like many of its regional counterparts.
As recently as Q1 2012, Deputy Tourism Minister Alexis Trujillo stated that his ministry aimed to build up to 13 golf courses by 2020.
At the time it was said that plans for four golf resorts worth over $1bn were approved as negotiations were concluded with four foreign investor groups in partnership with state owned company Palmares S.A. Things have since gone quiet with no word as to when developments would begin.
The head of a British based golf consortium - the Esencia Group noted in 2012 press release that it would take some time to get things going, "Commitment to the development of golf in Cuba is strong... It's now a question of when. As it's an important innovative strategy in the development of tourism in Cuba, it is crucial to get it right, and this takes time" stated CEO of Esencia Group Andrew Macdonald.
In the meantime the Varadero golf club continues to generate a buzz in the golfing world with events like the eagerly anticipated Montecristo Golf Cup.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...