Costa Rica beaches get a facelift thanks to environmental organization Costas Verdes
Max Tattenbach an ambitious Master's student at Yale University has committed to a Costa Rica beach reforestation project through his organization Costas Verdes. The project aims to plant up to 3000 trees along the coast of Playa Guiones. The project is expected to benefit not only the environment but the local community and local tourism as well.
Ecological economics university student and surfing enthusiast, Max Tattenbach was struck by the lack of trees at the local beaches while he was studying at the University of Costa Rica. Four years later Mr Tattenbach, now a Master's student at Yale University, has undertaken a reforestation project in an effort to improve the Costa Rica beach of Playa Guiones in the northwestern province of Guanacaste - a popular destination for surfers. Along with his environmental organization Costas Verdes, Tattenbach has promised to restore six hectares of coastline by planting approximately 2000 to 3000 trees.
Not only will the green project give a much needed boost to these Costa Rica beaches but also it will provide long-term benefits for the environment, the local community and even the local tourism industry. "Our ultimate goal is to prove a concept that environmental organizations can unite communities, the private sector and schools...We are investing in their community and they can benefit from that as much as the environment will. We all share a vision of having a forested coast...With the coast the way that it is, everyone obviously realizes how important this project is" explained Tattenbach.
By lowering the temperatures on the beaches, the reforestation project will provide optimum conditions for other species to thrive as well as blocking the lights from the coastal neighborhoods, which can confuse the turtles that come onshore to nest. The improvements to the local beaches are sure to also have knock-on effects for tourism in Playa Guiones with the trees offering surfers like Mr. Tattenbach, a much needed place to rest.
The Costa Rica Board of Tourism (ICT) and the local Immigration Administration recently reported on the nation's 2012 tourism figures noting that approximately 2.3 million people took Costa Rica holidays in 2012- a seven per cent increase from 2011. The figures were made all the more impressive when it was noted that 2012 was the third consecutive year in which Costa Rica reported a year on year increase in the number of visitors. As more and more travellers book their holidays in Costa Rica each year and with popular Costa Rican beach destinations like Tamarindo also known as the "surf mecca" vying for their attention, destinations like Playa Guiones need to capture the imaginations of holidaymakers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters.
- Learn more about Costa Rica with the unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot of insight about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your immersive tour
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
Explore the city in historica Havana before a woderful All Inclusive beach stay in Costa Rica
- This twin centre offers the perfect twin centre of history in Havana with nature and great beaches in Costa Rica
- NH Capri has an amazing pool on the roof offers breath-taking views over the capital and glistening sea
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury, where everything is included such as: gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...