Cuba gears up for next Jardines del Rey fishing tournament in October
For sport fishing fans and amateurs alike, Cuba's forthcoming fishing tournament in Jardines del Rey will present them with a fantastic opportunity to enjoy Cuba holidays while participating at the third edition of the Big Game Trolling fishing competition, which this year will be taking place in Cayo Guillermo's International Marlin Marina.
The third annual edition of the “Big Game Trolling” fishing tournament in the environmentally protected Jardines del Rey archipelago will soon be taking place next month from 15th to 20th October in the crystalline waters of Cayo Guillermo, a pristine key located in Cuba’s Ciego de Avila province. The competition will be staged at the Cayo Guillermo International Marlin Marina.
Everyone is invited to participate in the annual tournament; amateur fishermen, anglers, fans of sport fishing or spectators enjoying holidays in Cuba at the time of the event are all welcome, whether they are club members or not. Foreign fishing federations that wish to learn more about Cuba’s ocean waters and its inhabiting species are also invited.
This year’s event, according to sources from Cuba’s Ministry of Tourism, seeks to develop the island’s local fishing potential while helping develop other fishing-related activities and water sports.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Those wishing to compete or planning to attend the tournament as part of their Cuba holidays in Jardines del Rey should book their entry in advance as spaces are limited. For participants the registration fee is 350 CUC (approximately £220) per crew of one to four fishermen. For the first fisherman the fee is 100 CUC, while the total for renting a boat for the entire duration of the whole fishing tournament (four days and a half) costs 1,800 CUC.
At the moment various planners, workers and managers are hard at work in preparation for the event, speeding up conditions for the tournament, which will be subject to the rules of the International Association of Sports Fishing using the tag-and-release method.
Winners of the event will win prizes in three different categories, according to the total of points accumulated with the first prize being awarded to the team or individual that catches the largest marlin.
Image by: solmeliacuba, on Flickr
Each member of the jury will have a nautical chart or map of the fishing area which will be used to represent the catch. The area of the tournament will comprise up to 3 miles north and north-east of Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo, in the Old Bahama Channel.
The full schedule will consist of registration, captain meeting and welcome reception. There will be three full days of fishing with a day off after the second full day. The awards ceremony and farewell party will wrap up the tournament. For event participants single and double rooms will be available at preferential prices at the Sol Melia Cayo Guillermo hotel in Jardines del Rey.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Discover history and culture in Havana
- 15 restaurants and bars in Varadero
- Enjoy cabartes and live music
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...