Bridgetown and its Garrison in Barbados Added to Prestigious UNESCO List
The historic Bridgetown and its Garrison have officially been added to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) World Heritage Site list. Tourists planning Barbados holidays will be able to visit the small district on the Caribbean island where examples of British colonial architecture can be seen.
Holidaymakers will have the chance to visit one of UNESCO’s latest additions after the capital of Barbados, Bridgetown, and its Garrison were officially included in the prestigious United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) World Heritage Site list.
Tourists going on Barbados holidays and visiting Bridgetown will be able to see examples of British colonial architecture during a visit to the small town and the Garrison is home to a collection of historical buildings.
The Garrison area is located two miles from Heroes Square in Bridgetown and features a large horse-racing track and barracks for military staff. The Garrison was the headquarters for members of the British West Indies Regiment in Barbados during the 18th and 19th centuries and the area witnessed the official historical moment when the country’s power was transferred from British rule to Barbadian hands.
Image by: worldtraveller5,on Flickr
Bridgetown and its Garrison were considered for UNESCO nomination after the Caribbean country became a signatory to the UNESCO Convention for the Protection of World Cultural and Natural Heritage Convention in 2002.
UNESCO stated that Bridgetown and its garrison is “an outstanding example of British colonial architecture, offering a story which testifies to the spread of Great Britain’s Atlantic colonial empire.”
The UNESCO list includes world famous cultural and historical sites such as the Pyramids in Egypt, the Statue of Liberty in New York and the Great Wall of China.
Situated in the North Atlantic Ocean, north east of Venezuela, Barbados is an island nation that is rich in heritage, culture and breathtaking natural landscapes.
Tourists going on holidays to Barbados can enjoy the island’s unique white and pinkish coloured sandy beaches and calm turquoise ocean waters that are teeming with marine life such as colourful coral reefs, sea turtles, dolphins, sea horses, and tropical fish.
Image by: worldtraveller5,on Flickr
During holidays in Barbados, visitors can take part in a wide range of exciting activities including sailing, surfing, snorkelling, scuba diving and fishing.
Travellers can go on excursions to the island’s traditional markets and boutique shops; explore nature reserves including the Graeme Hall Nature Sanctuary; and step back in time in charming towns such as Holetown, Speightstown, and Bridgetown.
The Caribbean island boasts a range of accommodation, from inexpensive B&BS, to luxurious beachfront Barbados hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Great Location as a base to discover Barbados
The Rostrevor Hotel is a great value, family-run hotel on a prime beachfront setting in St Lawrence Gap , the fashionable and lively strip of Barbados
- September Sale now on with discounts of up to 15% off all rooms and a Special offer in Superior Ocean Front Studios
- Easy access to the shops, bars & restaurants of fashionable St. Lawrence Gap
- Boasts several Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence and a 2016 Travellers' Choice Award
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
- FREE roadtrip airport transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- September Sale with up to 40% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE for stays in 2018 and 2019
Sugar Bay Barbados is perfect for discovering Bajan Paradise in an All Inclusive Resort
- Premium All Inclusive hotel with a selection of dining options including a Steakhouse
- September Sale now on with savings of upto 40% PLUS $20 Spa Credit per person
- Enjoy a wide selection of activities including beach volleyball, wind surfing, jet skis, sailing and more
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, as the elegant eco-friendly...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...