Cuba welcomes over 1.6 million holidaymakers in first half of 2012
Proving that the popularity of Cuba holidays among worldwide travellers is showing no signs of slowing down, the government's tourism officials have recently revealed the successful figures of tourists visiting the island during the first half of 2012, breaking a new record and marking a 5.8 per cent increase compared to last year's figures.
Cuban tourism officials have recently published the official tourism figures for the first half of the year with as many as 1,626,243 visitors having arrived to the island during the first half of the year. This marks an 5.8 per cent increase in the total number of travellers heading to the Caribbean island compared to the figures during the same period last year.
The new figures were published by officials from the Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR) and are an indication of the increasing populartiy of Cuba holidays, which shows no sign of slowing down in the near future.
First deputy minister of tourism in Cuba, Alexis Trujillo attributed this success to the growth of new emerging tourism markets such as Russia and Argentina and the reliably large influx of Canadian travellers, which continue to be the main source market of tourists taking holidays in Cuba.
Image by: gsamie, on Flickr
Speaking to to the Cuban Parliament’s Standing Commission for Assistance to the Services, Trujillo shed light on the steps taken by MINTUR to improve its performance.
He explained that, while in January the number of Canadian tourists slightly declined, they reached normal seasonal figures in the following months and recorded a 6.4 percent growth by the end of June.
According to Trujillo, during the first six months of the year, tourism revenue grew a whopping 7.2 percent, while domestic tourism showed an increase of 30 per cent.
On the other hand, he revealed that, since arrivals are 97.4 percent of forecast numbers, the MINTUR is implementing new strategies to have a year as close as possible to forecast.
The official also said that these actions are aimed at reducing costs, increasing revenue and improving marketing of the products offered.
Image by: lezumbalaberenjena, on Flickr
“Thus we expect to conclude 2012 with 2,920,000 visitors, a figure never before recorded by Cuba,” he added.
Trujillo delivered a report on major investments made in tourism, which include the construction of new hotel facilities, especially in the centre of the island, in the city of Trinidad, and Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Nacional De Cuba hotel is considered a symbol of history, culture and Cuban identity
- Iberostar Laguna Azul offers 15 bars and restaurants, and worldwide cuisines
- Enjoy watersports including windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, paddleboats, and snorkelling
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...