Cuba ranks 3rd as a top holiday destination in the Caribbean
Cuba has been ranked in third position by the general director of the WTO for the Americas as the third most popular holiday destination in the Caribbean, trailing behind the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. With the popularity of Cuba holidays drastically increasing throughout the years, more holidaymakers than ever are being seduced into visiting this peculiar tropical paradise.
The general director of the World Tourism Organization (WTO) for the Americas, Carlos Vogeler, recently revealed that Cuba is now in third position as the Caribbean holiday destination that welcomes more tourists per year, trailing behind the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico.
The rising popularity of Cuba holidays among worldwide travellers heading to the Caribbean was revealed during Mr Vogeler’s visit to Jardines del Rey as part of a special tour he enjoyed after the end of the 32nd edition of Cuba’s annual tourism fair FITCUBA 2012. The official also added that Cuba is currently improving its tourist industry to provide visitors with enhanced holiday experiences, and that shed in the increasing number of tourists arriving to the island each year.
Those now seeking to enjoy holidays in Cuba have a larger number of hotels to choose from, a wider range of tourist attractions to enjoy and enhanced quality standards at most resorts, hostels, inns and boutique hotels. In addition further investment projects in attractions such as golf courses and marina as well as the opening of new hotel rooms are already in the pipeline.
Image by: pietroizzo, on Flickr
At the same pace Cuba's tourism industry has improved and evolved so have the tourism fairs organised in the island. The idea to take it this year to such an attractive place as Cayo Santa Maria was simply brilliant, according to Vogeler.
Mr Vogeler added that a visit to the pristine Jardines de La Reina archipelago (which Cayo Santa Maria is part of) allowed many foreigners to get to know the natural beauties that one can only find in these keys, (including the Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo keys), because they are a very valuable tourism product barely known outside Cuba.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Travel agents, tour operators, hotel chains and airline representatives toured the different facilities in the above-mentioned keys located off the northern central Cuban coast. There they were able to admire the beauty of the Playa Pilar resort, one of the most beautiful places in Cuba, where the sand dunes are among the best preserved in the region.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Discover history and culture in Havana
- 15 restaurants and bars in Varadero
- Enjoy cabartes and live music
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...