Popularity of Cancun Holidays on the Rise as Region Caters for "End of the World" Celebrations
There has been a increase in the number of bookings for Riviera Maya, Tulum and Cancun holidays as travellers are intrigued by the apocalyptic prophecies that predict the world will end on 21st December, 2012, according to the MesoAmerican calendar.
Tourism is booming in Cancun as intrigued travellers head to the region to find out more about the apocalyptic prophecies that predict the world will end on 21st December, 2012.
Bookings for Cancun holidays are up and the tourism board is welcoming the influx of travellers as officials attempt to reinvent the region from a party town to a more mature destination for adults and gourmet food-lovers.
According to the MesoAmerican calendar, 21st December, 2012 marks the end of a 5,125 year-long cycle and Mayan mythology predicts that the Earth will collide with another planet or be swallowed by a black hole. However, astrological calculations predict that it will be a period of spiritual renewal and many Mexicans who live in the area and have Mayan ancestry don’t think the world will literally end on 21st December, but they do believe the date marks an important time for rebirth.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
This is also how the tourism board is looking at it. Keen to rid the region of its reputation as a spring break destination with foam parties and all-night drinking, tourism officials are looking to encourage travellers to book holidays to Cancun for its culinary delights, engaging historical and mythological apects, ancient sites and archaeological ruins, and breathtaking scuba diving opportunities.
Erika Mitzunaga from the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau, explained: “As we close out the traditional Mayan calendar and welcome a new era. Cancun is embracing a ‘new beginning,’ which invites locals and guests to think different and behave different by exploring the evolution of humanity, and redefining our experience in the land of the Mayans.”
Earlier this month Cancun launched its first wine and food festival where more than 30 chefs including Ferran Adria from El Bulli and Ingrid Hoffman from “Simply Delicioso” demonstrated their skills in front of thousands of visitors.
Image by: Sifu Renka, on Flickr
Many Cancun hotels have already seen an increase in the number of tourists taking holidays in Cancun, including the ME by Melia hotel.
“The curiosity about Cancun is increasing from all different parts of the world. We are seeing an increase in interest from China, Russia and the Latin American market,” explained Raul Petraglia, the hotel’s managing director. “The demographic is 23-50, all folks who are young in spirit, people who enjoy being in an atmosphere of good cuisine.”
A wide range of activities and events are being planned in Cancun, Tulum and Riviera Maya to mark the “end of the world” and visitors can head to the modern-day pyramid, which is currently under construction in the town of Zama, to honour the ancient Mayans. Tourists who planning a holiday to Cancun over the next few months are invited to place a dream, wish, or message on a piece of paper and put it inside a recyclable plastic water bottle. The bottles will then be used as the building blocks of the pyramid.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Mitzunaga added: “This is the perfect time to come to Cancun to recharge your energies under the Caribbean sun, embrace a civilisation that studies show dates back to 2600 BC while marvelling at the ancient Mayan ruins, or challenge yourself to experience something you’ve never done before like swim with a whale shark or dive into a cenote.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
At Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, you will experience unlimited all inclusive luxury 24 Hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Ocean Front
- Unlimited-Luxury with gourmet dining and premium beverages in a choice of six reservation-free restaurants and five stylish bars
- Enjoy endless activities - from kayaking to snorkelling, windsurfing and much more
- Pamper yourself with innovative treatments at the Now Spa by Pevonia
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Deluxe Ocean View
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Enjoy exclusive privileges on tap as part of the resort's signature Unlimited-Luxury all-inclusive concept.
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Ocean View
- Retreat to one of the Mexican Caribbean's most coveted and secluded beach hideaways
- Something to keep everyone entertained at this fantastic family friendly resort
- Outdoor pool theater for shows and theme dinners
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Whether you're looking for a fun holiday with your family, a romantic getaway with your partner or a lively trip with...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. At Allegro Playacar...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....