Government expects 85,000 Russian travellers to go on Cuba holidays in 2012
Thanks to new airline operations being established and offering better transport options between Cuba to Russia, Cuba's Ministry of Tourism expects to welcome some 85,000 Russian visitors arriving to the island to enjoy cultural Cuba holidays in 2012.
Cuba is expecting to welcome more Russian tourists than ever this year, with the country's Ministry of Tourism anticipating a whopping total of 85,000 Russian travellers arriving to the island's sunkissed shores in 2012.
This expectation is partly due to the new direct air routes that have been recently established between Russia and Cuba thanks to the hard work of tour operators on both ends and the promotional campaigns that are being currently reinforced in Russia. As as a result of all these elements combined, Cuba foresees a drastic increase in arrivals in 2012 with a massive inflow of Russian travellers expected to go on Cuba holidays to enjoy not only the sun and beach but also the culture and the historical ties of the communist island with the former Soviet Union.
According to last year's tourism figures, the Russian travel market in Cuba grew by a whopping 140 per cent, after a total of 78,468 Russians enjoyed sunny Cuba holidays in what is the largest and most iconic of Caribbean destinations. While Cuba is captivating to most tourists it holds a special appeal for Russians due to their political ties during the 60s, 70s and 80s, with three decades of close friendship betweent the two governments and with the island still holding remnants of the Russian presence (as a curiousity Cuban children still watch Russian cartoons played on national TV).
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
With more affluent travellers than ever, Russia is beting strong in Cuba and maintaining that historical that relationship that has now contributed to the boom of curious Russian travellers interested in visiting the Caribbean nation and learning about its past and present.
Xiomara Martinez Iglesias, Vice Minister of Tourism for International Relations, Commerce and Promotion revealed to Prensa Latina that during the new Cuba travel campaign being promoted in Russia, the Cuban tourism representatives would attend various tourism fairs in Russia and some countries from Eastern Europe.
Image by: *michael sweet*, on Flickr
She added that this Saturday, she would be leading a team of directives and business partners in Cuba's tourism industry which would be present in a stand at Russia's MITT Moscow Fair 2012 promoting Cuba holidays among Russian travellers and establishing important business ties and contacts for future negotiations.
The Vice Minister also revealed that at present, in order to push the tourism travel market, new direct Cuba flights were being serviced by Transaero and Aeroflot, as well as airlines from France and Holland (through Air France and KLM) connecting Moscow with direct routes to Havana.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Discover history and culture in Havana
- 15 restaurants and bars in Varadero
- Enjoy cabartes and live music
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...