U.S. Treasury Denies Licence for Florida Ferry Service to Cuba
After waiting two years to find out if it can provide a ferry service for Cuba holidays, Havana Ferry Partners has been told that its application has been denied, with the U.S. Treasury agency saying the service is "beyond the scope of current policy."
A Fort-Lauderdale company has found out that its application to provide a ferry service for American travellers between the United States and Cuba has been denied.
Havana Ferry Partners submitted their application two years ago and last month, the company publicly complained about the delay in the decision which would provide a cheaper alternative to flights for American residents planning Cuba holidays.
The company received a letter from the U.S. Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control on 27th February, 2012, saying that the ferry service to Cuba is "beyond the scope of current policy."
"We're not going away," said Leonard Moecklin Sr. a managing partner of Havana Ferry.
The firm’s executives are planning to appeal against the decision because they cannot understand why the U.S. authorities permit charter flights to Cuba but not ferries when the current U.S. regulations allow both "aircraft and vessels".
Several U.S. and international companies submitted applications to provide holidays to Cuba via ferry for Americans under the new relaxed Cuba travel restrictions. These include Orlando's United Caribbean Lines, Paris' Unishipping and Spain's Balearia.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
Before the decades-long embargo, tourists were able to travel to the communist island via a ferry service from Florida, and since President Obama eased travel restrictions for U.S. residents last year, many companies are keen to resume this charter service.
Havana Ferry Partners say that its service could create a new route for Cuba holidays under the new regulations, as well as hundreds of full-time and part-time jobs in the Florida.
"The market is waiting for this ferry to open up," Moecklin added. "We can help people that can't afford a $500 flight and the cost of overweight luggage."
The new law enables Americans to take holidays to Cuba for religious, academic, cultural, educations and professional purposes, and Cuban-Americans can now freely travel to their homeland as often as they desire, with no limitations.
U.S. Airports that are now permitted to operate charter Cuba flights include Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, Tampa International Airport, Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta, O’Hare in Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and San Juan.
Cuba is a Caribbean island located east of Mexico. The country boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, tropical nature parks, luxury and mid-range Cuba hotels and resorts, and cities, towns and villages that are rich in culture and history.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...