Baltimore International Airport Postpones Cuba Flights until Autumn 2012
The weekly charter flight from Baltimore-Washington International Airport which was scheduled to start taking American tourists to their Cuba holidays later this month has been postponed until this autumn due to the lack of ticket sales.
The weekly charter service between Baltimore-Washington Thurgood Marshall International Airport and Havana has been postponed until autumn due to poor ticket sales.
The first flight was scheduled to take American travellers to their Cuba holidays on 21st March, 2012 but the route has only attracted six passengers despite the planned visit of Pope Benedict XVI to the Caribbean island on 26th March.
The head of the Florida-based travel agency, Island Travel and Tours, who arranged the new service, said that they will improve the publicity campaign and launch the flights to Cuba in October instead.
“We’ve had lots of calls and lots of interest, but that hasn’t translated into ticket sales,” explained William J. Hauf, the president of Island Travel and Tours. “We probably could have filled up the first flight, but we want to offer these flights on a weekly basis, and right now we weren’t confident we’d sell enough tickets for the second and third flights to cover a cost of $50,000 to $60,000 per flight.”
Image by: cseeman, on Flickr
The travel agency was confident that the relaxed Cuba travel restrictions and the Pope’s three-day visit would encourage travellers to book holidays in Cuba this month.
The Cuba flights had been promoted since January, 2012, but Hauf recognises that religious and educational organisations might have needed more time to plan Cuba holidays.
“We’re going to continue to promote this heavily so that when we begin [BWI] flights, probably in October, these groups will have had plenty of time to work it into their plans,” Hauf added.
Image by: Eden Viaggi, on Flickr
Last January, U.S. President Barack Obama eased travel restrictions for American residents and they will now be able to legally visit the Caribbean island for religious, cultural, educational, academic, agricultural or professional purposes.
The decades-long embargo has prohibited American travellers from going on holidays to Cuba and though travel restrictions still apply, many U.S. residents will be able to visit Cuba for the first time under the new rules. Cuban-Americans, who were once restricted to limited travel back to their homeland, are now allowed to freely return to Cuba under the new law.
Several new U.S. airports have been given the go-ahead to offer charter flights to Cuba including Tampa, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Los Angeles, Bush Intercontinental, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Chicago O'Hare, Pittsburgh and San Juan.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Nacional De Cuba hotel is considered a symbol of history, culture and Cuban identity
- Iberostar Laguna Azul offers 15 bars and restaurants, and worldwide cuisines
- Enjoy watersports including windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, paddleboats, and snorkelling
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...