Americans making use of every opportunity to book Cuba holidays
Witnessing unprecedented interest in booking Cuba holidays U.S. tour operators are already planning for 2013. Reports suggest that U.S. citizens are making use of every opportunity to embark on legal travel tours to the once forbidden Caribbean island.
Ever since the Obama administration eased travel restrictions, previously in place for nearly a half century, to the Caribbean island of Cuba it seems that Cuba holidays have been on the mind of many U.S. citizens.
The current travel guidelines for U.S. citizens is a return to policies first set by the Clinton administration allowing what is termed “people to people tourism” aimed at increasing contact between ordinary citizens of both countries. Currently, Americans are not allowed to travel to the once forbidden island independently as they run the risk of being fined by the U.S. Treasury Department.
Instead, interested travellers must go through the few licensed tour operators, many of which are hardly able to meet the current demand for holidays to Cuba- a sign of the popularity of the Caribbean island and appeal of its culture to U.S. citizens. “With a few exceptions for students, journalists, aid workers and some others, going to Cuba means joining one of the new cultural and educational tours licensed by the U.S. Treasury Department. Many trips sold out quickly. Tour companies are planning more for 2013...” notes Seattle Times travel writer Carol Pucci.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
While the current restrictions prevent US holidaymakers from enjoying the typical luxury Caribbean holiday on the island’s beautiful beaches it has provided the perfect opportunity for them to enjoy and gain a deeper understanding of the rich Cuban culture. William Colon, president of the non profit educational organisation, the Latino Institute noted in a recent interview, “I don't know if you can call this tourism in the regular way that people come and go to the beach...Here, this is a learning experience; we are learning all about the Cuban people, and our eyes are wide open. I've been waiting for the last 10 years to do this trip, and finally we are able to do it.”
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The surge in the number of Americans wishing to embark on a cultural Cuba holidays experience has posed both opportunities and challenges for the Cuba hotels who are struggling to meet the demand for rooms. In a Reuters report at the beginning of 2012 one travel agency director summed up the situation stating, “We need more hotels and we need more four-star hotels...we will have five years of difficulty [while more hotels are being built]… Business will be good for everybody because people are coming in, but everybody will have to fight for rooms”.
The Cuban government has since given assurances that steps would be put in place to improve the infrastructure at existing Cuba hotels in addition to the construction of new hotels in key areas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...