Enriching Cuba holidays in Sancti Spiritus with Restoration of The House of the 100 Doors
A rare and unique museum in Cuba's province of Sancti Spiritus has just been declared an official heriate of the country after undergoing remodelling works and opening for the delight of travellers enjoying Cuba holidays in the central city.
One of the most historically intriguing buildings in the city of Sancti Spiritus, dating from the 18th Century and locally known as the House of the 100 Doors, was added to the historical heritage of Cuba. The grand colonial mansion founded by Spanish conqueror and governor Diego Velazquez in 1514 and now a National Monument, was totally renovated and refurbished for the celebration of the 500th anniversary of the foundation of the city of Sancti Spiritus in 2014.
Officially named the Museum of Colonial Art and less officially popularly known as the House of the 100 Doors, this mansion houses more than 2,800 unique time pieces and works of art. Most of these used to belong to the Valle Iznaga family, of great noble ancestry at the time.
In addition to the priceless objects from the Valle Iznaga family, tourists enjoying Cuba holidays in Sancti Spiritus and wanting to absorb its rich culture will be able to find other objects of unvaluable at The House of the 100 Doors; including intricate art works by Swiss engraver Leopold Luis Robert and large Napoleon III console tables laminated in gold and French-style lamps made of baccarat glass.
Image by: quarkness, on Flickr
This rather unique museum, located in the best preserved neighbourhood of Sancti Spiritus sits right next to other colonial attractions such as the Higher Parochial Church (datingback to 1680), the Main Theatre (built in1839) and the bridge over the Yayabo River, which is considered an outsanding work of craftsmanship and egineering, because of its architecture.
The renovation of the Main Theatre in the city is yet another work in progress in a zone with more than 1,400 buildings dating from the 17th, 18th and 19th Centuries. The theatre's main stage once upon a time was host to worldwide performers and celebrities of the era such as Ramon Pignatelli (1734-1793), Juventino Rosas and Brindis de Salas.
Image by: simon_white, on Flickr
Since the start of the renovation and maintenance works being carried in the city in 2011, Sancti Spiritus has been breathing a fresher air, with the participation of constructors and the population working hard to give the city its best appearance in 2014, ready to celebrate the 500th anniversary of its foundation. Although not the most popular of destinations among travellers going on holidays to Cuba, Sancti Spiritus has unique history and charm with rich culture and historic past.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...