Cuba promotes facilities for golfing Cuba holidays with next Golf Competition in Varadero
With the next golf competition in Varadero taking place in March 2012, tourism authorities in Cuba are taking the opportunity to promote golfing in Cuba as a desirable sport to enjoy during Cuba holidays at one of the island's championshing golf courses.
With the next and fourth edition of the Montecristo Cup International Tournamet taking place in a couple of months, Cuban tourism authoritities are working hard to promote not only the biggest golfing event in the island but also to the island's excellent (and currently in expansion) golfing facilities in order to attract more golf enthusiasts to Cuba holidays in Varadero, the resort with Cuba's first and only championship golf course, at least for now, as further golf courses are currently under construction.
The 4th Montecristo Cup International Tournament will be taking place from 19th - 21st March 2012 in the Varadero Golf Club and executives from the Ministry of Tourism announced that this time around there will be three categories in competition, two for men and one for women.
Organisers of the event announced that this year's competition would count with the participation of amateur player from several countries around the world and they were expecting Varadero hotels to fill up with golf enthusiasts in the week leading up to the event.
Image by: Gudmundsson, on Flickr
Guillermo Gutierrez, vice-president of the Varadero golf competition's organising committee said that this time around they will be taking advantage of the proximity to the U.S. Open —the second major golf tournament of the season— to attract world-renowned players from that country to golfing holidays in Cuba for their participation in the event.
The golfing event, which has taken place every year in the popular beahch resort of Varadero since its foundation in 2009, helps to promote Cuba holidays and confirm the potential for further developing the practice of this sport in the island, and support new projects for the creation of more golf courses island-wide.
Image by: Esencia1, on Flickr
In recent months, Cuban officials announced they were negotiating with international companies to build 16 new golf courses in Cuba as a strategy to diversify the island's tourism offer and keep up with demand.
In Cuba, at present, there are only two golf courses: the Varadero Golf Club, a championship golf course with 18 holes and 69 hectares, and the Capdevila Golf Club, in Havana, which is smaller.
A recent official report revealed that golf pros like Peter Walton, the chief executive of the International Association of Golf Tour Operators based in London, United Kingdom, believe that Cuba could become the next biggest hotspot in the Caribbean for golf lovers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...