After adding Cuba flights in 2011, Mexico's Interjet Airlines strengthen relations with Cuba
News coming from Havana, Cuba indicates that Mexico's Interjet Airlines will be seeking to further strengthen its relationship with the Caribbean island in the years to come. The airline first began providing Cuba flights in August 2011.
Cuba’s Havanatur Group recently released a statement announcing that Mexico’s budget airline and one of the current air carriers providing Cuba flights from Mexico, Interjet Airlines, is seeking to bolster its relationship with Cuba’s Ministry of Toursim.
The announcement followed a visit to Cuba made by an Interjet delegation led by the airline’s Director General, Jose Luis Garza. The delegation met with representatives from Cuba’s Ministry of Tourism, executives from Cuban tour agencies and Cuba hotels as well members of staff from the Mexican Embassy based in Cuba. Details of the steps that will be taken to strengthen ties between the two entities are yet to be released. However, it is clear that InterJet, Havantur and the Cuban government will be working together to the benefit of the tourism industry with the aim of having enticing more Mexican travellers to book Cuba holidays in the years to come.
Image by: Robin Thom, on Flickr
Interjet began offering daily cheap Cuba flights from Mexico City to Havana as recently as August 2011. The privately owned airline has stepped in taking to take over slots vacated by troubled carrier Mexicana which filed for bankruptcy in late 2010. Cuba is now one of the few international destinations that Interjet flies to, along with other geographically close destinations in Central America like Guatemala City. The airline is known not only for providing cheap flights, perfect for those customers hoping to bag bargain flights to Cuba, but also the spacious legroom offered in their economy class seats.
Interjet who first began operations on 5th December 2005, boasts a fleet of 31 Airbus A320 aircrafts and describes itself as “one of the most efficient and profitable airlines, both in Latin America and around the world”. A partnership with the up and coming airline will no doubt prove beneficial to the Cuban government as it seeks to capitalise on the buzz surrounding the development of Cuba as one of the top holiday destinations in the coming years and convert this growing interest into hard cash, much needed for the island’s ailing economy.
Image by: stephenk1977, on Flickr
Cuba has fast become one of the Caribbean’s leading destinations, as reflected in an official report from the island that showed that the island has become the third leading Caribbean holiday spot in less than 10 years, a feat made even more impressive when taking into account the fact that it has not had access to 50 per cent of the U.S. tourism market. While Canada remains the largest contributor to Cuban tourism with most of the international travellers taking Cuba holidays originating from this North American country, Mexico is listed as one of their many key markets; underscoring the importance of the island’s budding relationship with Interjet.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Nacional De Cuba hotel is considered a symbol of history, culture and Cuban identity
- Iberostar Laguna Azul offers 15 bars and restaurants, and worldwide cuisines
- Enjoy watersports including windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, paddleboats, and snorkelling
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...