High-Speed catamaran service to operate between Florida and Cuba from 2013
Kona Catamaran, LLC has entered into a partnership with CubaKat to build three high-speed catamaran vessels that will provide transport for Cuba holidays. The cruises will travel between Marathon, Florida and Cuba's capital city, Havana, from April, 2013.
From spring next year, tourists will be able to travel to the Caribbean island of Cuba via high speed catamaran cruises after Kona Catamaran LLC signed a deal with CubaKat last week to build three new vessels.
The three catamarans will be used to transport tourists to their Cuba holidays and will travel from Marathon in Florida to Havana in less than three hours. The ferries will carry up to 149 passengers each and the first boat is scheduled to start operating from April, 2013.
CubaKat are currently in the process of obtaining a licence through U.S and Cuban agencies so that they can operate the new ferry services. Boksa Marine Design in Tampa, Florida and Noah Thompson Design from New Zealand are designing the boats and they will be built by Kona Catamaran.
Kona Catamaran's CEO, Brian Hall, commented: "We're pleased to be part of such an historic project that will change the lives of so many people. This project has the potential to create over 200 jobs between Mobile, Alabama; Titusville, Florida; and the Florida Keys. This will be the start of a great venture using our high speed catamarans in Cuba."
More Americans are booking holidays to Cuba after President Obama relaxed restrictions last year on the ongoing Cuba travel embargo. American travellers are now allowed to travel to Cuba for cultural, academic, religious, educational and professional purposes. The Caribbean island is expecting to receive an influx of American holidaymakers this year as many will go on holiday in Cuba for the very first time.
Several tour operators and travel companies have taken advantage of the changes to the law and a number of charter flights to Cuba have been introduced from new airports including Tampa International Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, O'Hare International in Chicago, Dallas Fort Worth International, Louis Armstrong New Orleans International, Pittsburgh International, plus San Juan Louis Munoz Marin International in Puerto Rico.
The CEO of CubaKat, Pedro Baez, added: "This will be the first ferry to provide service from the U.S. to Cuba in more than 50 years. CubaKat is looking forward to providing a much needed service that will enhance travel experience to and from the beautiful country of Cuba."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Discover history and culture in Havana
- 15 restaurants and bars in Varadero
- Enjoy cabartes and live music
Head to one of the Caribbean's liveliest cities, then move on to a luxury beach resort
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-hour all-inclusive services
- Rooftop swimming pool and Jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Combine discovering the colonial architecture, history and rich culture of Havana with basking upon Caribbean beaches...