Cuba expects to record 8.2 percent growth in tourism in 2011
The number of tourists who went on Cuba holidays in 2011 is expected to have increased by 8.2 per cent according to a report presented by Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero to the Cuban Parliament with Canadians as the main visitors to the Caribbean island.
The Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero, has presented a report to the Cuban Parliament showing that the number of tourists who visited Cuba in 2011 is expected to increase by 8.2 per cent compared to 2010.
According to Marrero, 2.7 million people took Cuba holidays last year up until November and the island was expecting to receive one million tourists from Canada before the year ended.
Preliminary data from the National Statistics Office revealed that international tourism in Cuba had increased by 7.6 percent until late November 2011, and up until that period, 2.43 million foreign tourists chose holidays in Cuba.
The Cuban Ministry of Tourism said that by the end of December 2011, more than 2.5 million foreign tourists will have visited Cuba for the eighth consecutive year.
The island nation has become the third major tourist destination in the Caribbean over the past decade despite having no visitors from the United States because of the ongoing travel embargo.
Cuba travel is now being made accessible to American tourists after U.S President Barack Obama eased restrictions on holidays to Cuba for religious, cultural, academic and educational purposes.
The President relaxed restrictions on the decades-long U.S-Cuba travel embargo in January last year and many airlines and ferry companies have already commenced charter services between airports and ports in the U.S to Cuba.
New Cuba hotels and restaurants are opening up across provincial towns across the Caribbean island in preparation for the predicted influx of tourists from America.
Last year, Leisure Canada signed an agreement with UK-based PGA which will allow the Toronto-based company to use PGA's brand across its development of three new luxury hotels in Cuba that will be located in new golf resorts.
Popular holiday destinations in Cuba include Varadero which is home to 20 km of pristine beaches and upscale hotels and resorts; Villa Clara that boasts a northern coast dotted with an array of cays with white sand beaches, coral reefs and thriving nature parks; and Havana, the country's capital city that oozes culture, history, traditions and Cuban charm.
The majority of visitors to Cuba's arrive from Canada, the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, France, Argentina, Russia and Mexico.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Start your Cuban experience at the Nh Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...