Baltimore-Washington International to Launch Flights to Cuba in March 2012
Officials from Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport in the United States have announced that American travellers planning Cuba holidays will be able to take weekly charter flights to Cuba from the airport starting March next year.
American Travellers will be able to travel directly from Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport to Havana in Cuba from March next year, following an announcement from airport officials.
Travellers will be able to take weekly charter flights to Cuba holidays after the new service was authorised by federal authorities in the United States.
Paul J. Wiedefeld, the Executive Director of Baltimore-Washington International Airport, said: “We look forward to this charter service, which will provide new travel and exchange opportunities with Cuba.
“There are many organisations and institutions in Maryland and the national capital region that will benefit from this direct access to Cuba and the Cuban people.”
Earlier this year, President Obama eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents, which essentially mean that now many holidaymakers or “vacationers” from the U.S are able to take Cuba holidays for cultural, religious, academic, educational, agricultural and professional purposes.
Image by: alexgrau, on Flickr
Many charter companies and airlines across America have been authorised to provide travel options to the Caribbean island. Other airports in the United States that have been grated permission to provide flights to Cuba include Tampa, Los Angeles, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Chicago O'Hare, Pittsburgh and San Juan.
The new charter holidays to Cuba will be available via Island Travel and Tours, a company that currently offers flights to Havana from Miami International, John F. Kennedy International in New York, and Los Angeles International. The first flight is scheduled to depart from Baltimore-Washington International Airport in the afternoon on 21st March 2012.
Image by: Snaxx, on Flickr
William Hauf, the President of Island Travel, said: “We’re extremely excited about serving the Baltimore and Washington community with new, historic, direct flights to Cuba.
“These flights will greatly expand opportunities for increased engagement between the two countries and facilitate legal travel to Cuba for business leaders, government officials, diplomats, academics, cultural groups, agricultural interests, performing arts groups and Cuban Americans wishing to reconnect with their families and their country.”
Following the President’s announcement about the changes to the decades-long travel embargo, Cuba has been looking forward to the expected influx of new travellers from the United States. The increase in visitors will be beneficial to Cuba hotels, restaurants, airlines and tourist attractions and will help to boost the national economy.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Discover history and culture in Havana
- 15 restaurants and bars in Varadero
- Enjoy cabartes and live music
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...