TDIC Delays Openings of Abu Dhabi Louvre and Guggenheim Museums
The highly anticipated opening of three of Abu Dhabi's new museums has been delayed, after an announcement from the Tourism Development and Investment Co. The cultural project is expected to attract thousands of tourists taking Abu Dhabi holidays.
The Tourism Development and Investment Company (TDIC) in Abu Dhabi has announced that it will be postponing the anticipated opening of three museums in the city.
According to the Abu Dhabi-based government-owned company, the Guggenheim and the Louvre museums and the Zayed National Museum will not be opening to tourists taking Abu Dhabi holidays in 2013 or 2014 as was initially planned, and no new opening date has been given so far.
TDIC announced recently that it had cancelled a tender that was related to the construction of the Frank Gehry-designed 450,000 square-feet Guggenheim museum in the city.
In a statement, the company said: "Due to the immense magnitude of the work associated with the development of such consequential projects, the company has decided to extend the delivery dates.
"This will ensure that quality is not compromised, and allow each establishment the time needed to create its own identity on the local and international cultural stage.”
TDIC added that significant progress has been made on the museum project, including the completion of architectural designs.
It added: "The company is currently working closely with its valued partners on the creation of the new delivery timeline and looks forward to announcing this in due course."
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
Earlier this year, firms competed for the $109 million contract for the Guggenheim project, including UAE's Al Habtoor-Leighton Group, Dubai builder Arabtec , Saudi Oger, Egypt's Orascom Construction and South Korea's Samsung C&T.
The $27 billion art and cultural project is one of the largest of its kind in the Middle East and is expected to attract thousands of international visitors enjoying Abu Dhabi holidays once it has opened to the public.
The Guggenheim and Louvre museums will be built on the Saadiyat Island in Abu Dhabi. Located 500m of the coast of Abu Dhabi, Saadiyat Island is a world class leisure, residential, business and tourism hub.
Image by: MP:MEGLIOPOSSIBILE, on Flickr
The natural island will be offering luxury Abu Dhabi hotels, iconic landmarks, over three million square metres of office space, marinas with berths for up to1,000 boats, two championship golf courses, civic and leisure facilities, sea-view apartments and upscale villas.
Situated on 27 square-kilometres of land, Saadiyat island will feature seven districts and will be completed in phases up until 2020. Once completed, over 160,000 people are expected to live there all year round and thousands more will be visiting during holidays to Abu Dhabi.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Abu Dhabi Browse all
Experience the spectacular and beautiful Intercontinental Abu Dhabi
- A landmark hotel, prized for its white sandy beach, marina and variety of restaurants
- Upgrade to All Inclusive package! Call us now!
- Choose from a huge variety of prized buzzing restaurants overlooking the water
Enjoy 5 star luxury in the city centre, laze on the hotel's private beach and pop downstairs to the capital's most renowned shopping mall, the Abu Dhabi Mall.
- Ranked within the Top 10 Abu Dhabi Hotels on Tripadvisor
- Sitting in the heart of Abu Dhabi next to the iconic Abu Dhabi Mall
- 9 Restaurants and 2 Cafes offering award-winning cuisine plus Zen the Spa for various treatments
Start off at Al Raha Beach with plenty of shopping options nearby followed by a stay at Tilal Liwa Desert Resort
- Al Raha overlooks a pristine ribbon of private beach, and you'll be within easy access to the Formula 1 theme park and downtown Abu Dhabi
- Enjoy a wide range of unique experiences such as camel riding, desert safari, BBQ, wellness therapy and many more
- Relax in the pool overlooking the Liwa dunes and the vast desert beyond as far as your eye can see
Discover two destination in one unforgettable holiday
- The award winning Hilton Abu Dhabi is conveniently located in the heart of the city, 30 minutes from the airport and close to the marina shopping mall
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind, body and spirit
- Experience stunning views over the pure white sands and crystal clear ocean with your nearest and dearest
Discover the hidden treasure in Abu Dhabi that is Crowne Plaza in Yas Island. It is the ideal accommodation for those...
Acquaint yourself with the luxurious Abu Dhabi lifestyle during a comfy 5-day stay at the Al Raha Beach Hotel....
Al Raha Beach Hotel offers magnificent views of the Arabian Gulf, just a short drive from the city and Abu Dhabi...
Stay in Downtown Abu Dhabi and be pampered by Arabian hospitality. The Holiday Inn Abu Dhabi offers excellent service...
Experience luxurious accommodations, modern business and leisure amenities and an ideal location in the heart of Abu...
Experience the height of luxurious comfort at the modern deluxe Pearl Rotana, designed to suit the needs of business,...