National Geographic Launches Cultural Cuba Holidays
American travellers will now be able to take Cuba holidays with the National Geographic Society after it recently received a special licence from the U.S. Department of the Treasury that will allow it to offer expeditions to the Caribbean island.
The National Geographic Society has received a special licence that will allow it to provide special excursions for American citizens visiting the island of Cuba.
American travellers will now be able to enjoy Cuba holidays lovingly packaged by one of the world’s largest educational and scientific institutions, thanks to a new licence that has been granted by the U.S Department of the Treasury.
The new programme titled, Cuba: Discovering its People and Culture, will give U.S residents the opportunity to take holidays to Cuba and meet and interact with Cubans, whilst experiencing the communist nation’s culture, heritage, cuisine and breathtaking landscapes.
The 10-day expedition includes tours of the UNESCO World Heritage sites of Old Havana and Trinidad which are led by Cuban preservationists; a meeting with the curator of Ernest Hemingway’s hilltop home, Finca Vigia, which is now a famous museum; music and dance performances; and the chance to meet Julio Muñoz, a Cuban photographer whose family appeared in an article in a 1999 edition of the National Geographic.
Image by: robseye76, on Flickr
Earlier this year, U.S President Barack Obama eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American citizens by re-instating “people-to-people” licences that can be used by approved travel and tour companies and organisations. American travellers can now visit the Caribbean island nation for religious, cultural, academic, educational or professional purposes.
Image by: lumierefl, on Flickr
National Geographic Expeditions previously ran programmes for Cuba holidays in 2001-2002 but these were stopped in 2003 when the then president George Bush imposed new travel restrictions for Americans.
According to National Geographic Expeditions, the dates for the Cuba programme have already sold out but the organisation is planning to add further dates, giving priority to those on the waiting list.
Since the travel restriction changes were announced, Cuba has been looking forward to welcoming an influx of new travellers from the United States. The increase in visitors will be beneficial to Cuba hotels, restaurants, airlines, tourist attractions, and the tourism industry.
The beautiful Caribbean island is located east of Mexico and boasts stunning white sand beaches, historical sites, lush green valleys, mountains, turquoise ocean waters and vibrant coastal reefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions on offer
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...