Mexico Records 1.8 Per cent Increase in Tourists in First Eight Months of 2011
The number of tourists who took Mexico holidays during the first eight months of 2011 has increased by 1.8 per cent compared to the same period last year. Riviera May and Cancun holidays are among the top favourites for travellers visiting the country.
Mexico has seen an increase in the number of visitors that have arrived to the country throughout the first eight months of 2011.
According to the Tourism Secretariat, the number of tourists taking going to Mexico to enjoy popular beach breaks with Cancun holidays and holidays to the famous Riviera Maya, has increased by 1.8 percent during this period compared to the same time last year.
The total reached 15.2 million tourists between January and August and border tourism rose by 9.4 per cent compared to the same period in 2010.
The Secretariat revealed that a total of 6.6 million visitors travelled to northern Mexico between January and August 2011 and during their stay they spent $369 million; a 1.7 per cent increase on the first eight months of 2010.
Image by: BeLiveHotels.com, on Flickr
Occupancy levels in Mexico’s 70 largest cities and beach resorts such as the popular Riviera Maya and Cancun hotels in the Mexican Caribbean rose by 3.2 per cent and 115.2 million domestic tourists were recorded during this period; a 5.4 per cent increase on last year’s figures.
The spending habits of international travellers going on holidays to Mexico also changed with a 4.3 per cent increase in the amount tourists spent during Mexico and Cancun holidays, in comparison to 2010’s figures, according to the bank of Mexico.
Image by: eggneckface33, on Flickr
This year has seen Mexico celebrate the “Year of Tourism” as they country worked hard to promote the travel and tourism industry, promoting some of the country’s most beautiful sites and attractions, and as well as hotels and resorts in an attempt to counteract the negative publicity from the media about the war on drugs and crime in certain cities in Mexico.
Cancun is a popular destination for luxury holidays in Mexico and last year, the majority of the 22.4 million foreign tourists that visited Mexico headed to the country’s top three destinations: Mexico City, Riviera Maya and Cancun.
Situated on the northern coast of Quintana Roo state on the Yucatan peninsula in southern Mexico, Cancun is a popular coastal resort that attracts hundreds of thousands of travellers seeking the tropical Caribbean climate, breathtaking natural scenery and luxury Cancun hotels and resorts.
The region is home to an array of ancient archaeological sites and nature parks, and scuba diving enthusiasts can explore the underwater museum in the National Marine Park of Cancun where 400 life-size sculptures lie on the ocean floor and attract an abundance of marine creatures and colourful corals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
At Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, you will experience unlimited all inclusive luxury 24 Hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Ocean Front
- Unlimited-Luxury with gourmet dining and premium beverages in a choice of six reservation-free restaurants and five stylish bars
- Enjoy endless activities - from kayaking to snorkelling, windsurfing and much more
- Pamper yourself with innovative treatments at the Now Spa by Pevonia
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Deluxe Ocean View
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Enjoy exclusive privileges on tap as part of the resort's signature Unlimited-Luxury all-inclusive concept.
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Preferred Club Ocean View
- Retreat to one of the Mexican Caribbean's most coveted and secluded beach hideaways
- Something to keep everyone entertained at this fantastic family friendly resort
- Outdoor pool theater for shows and theme dinners
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Whether you're looking for a fun holiday with your family, a romantic getaway with your partner or a lively trip with...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. At Allegro Playacar...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....