Egypt to continue to grant visas to tourists after legislation u-turn
Egypt has decided to axe a proposed regulation that would require tourists taking Egypt holidays to obtain a visa prior to their arrival in the country. Tourism Minister Munir Fakhri Abdel Nur said the proposal would have a negative effect on tourism.
A proposed regulation which would require tourists visiting Egypt to obtain a visa prior to travelling has been axed in an attempt to welcome more visitors to the country.
Egypt officials have made a u-turn on the proposal and tourism officials have promised that travellers taking holidays in the country will continue to be granted visas upon arrival as has been the norm for years.
The country’s Tourism Minister, Munir Fakhri Abdel Nur, stated that the proposal would be cancelled as it is believed to have “serious negative consequences on tourism to Egypt.”
The current regulations enable tourists taking holidays to Egypt to obtain an entry visa at any of the major airports and sea ports in the country as long as they have a valid passport.
The World Travel Awards, widely known as the “Oscars of the travel industry”, will highlight the growth of African and Indian Ocean tourist destinations despite turbulent economic times for many key source markets across the globe, such as Europe and the United States. The awards honour the best holiday destinations, airlines, hotels, tour operators, and many more organisations the travel and tourism industry.
World Tourism Day will be celebrated in Aswan, one of Egypt’s leading holiday destinations, under the theme: “Tourism – Linking Cultures”.
Last week, Mounir Fakhri Abdel-Nour, said: “We are very honoured to be hosting the official celebrations of World Tourism Day 2011 in Egypt. Tourism is one of the most important sectors of our society, representing 12% of our GDP in 2010 and responsible for one in every seven jobs. World Tourism Day is an excellent opportunity to raise awareness around the world of this vital economic sector and its contribution to social, economic and environmental well-being worldwide and in Egypt in particular.”
Mr Abdel-Nour has invited the media, private and public tourism stakeholders, academics, tourism ministers, and heads of tourism associations from countries across the world to participate in this important annual event. Attendees will have the chance to discover the marvel of the ancient country during their stay in Egypt where they will stay at luxury Egypt hotels and visit the country’s collection of impressive attractions such as the River Nile, the Pyramids and the Aswan Dam.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Relax on the sandy beach or join in the various activities on offer at his fantastic hotel
- AMC Royal Hotel is set on the sandy beach of the Red Sea in-between Hurghada and El Gouna
- They have various activities on offer at the hotel including a daily animation programme, non motorised water sports and nightly entertainment
- There is various food options available especially at dinner with a buffet nightly themed restaurant, Italian buffet restaurant and a Oriental themed restaurant
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonders, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise from £249pp
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
Enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the all-inclusive Hilton Hurghada Resort in Egypt and discover a...
Le Meridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a short...
Start your holiday at Le Méridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of...
Cairo is a place of rich contrasts; a bustling metropolis which still hosts some of Egypt's most treasured historical...
Cairo is one of the world's most important tourist cities; seize this chance to find out what makes this magical city...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...