Egypt to continue to grant visas to tourists after legislation u-turn
Egypt has decided to axe a proposed regulation that would require tourists taking Egypt holidays to obtain a visa prior to their arrival in the country. Tourism Minister Munir Fakhri Abdel Nur said the proposal would have a negative effect on tourism.
A proposed regulation which would require tourists visiting Egypt to obtain a visa prior to travelling has been axed in an attempt to welcome more visitors to the country.
Egypt officials have made a u-turn on the proposal and tourism officials have promised that travellers taking holidays in the country will continue to be granted visas upon arrival as has been the norm for years.
The country’s Tourism Minister, Munir Fakhri Abdel Nur, stated that the proposal would be cancelled as it is believed to have “serious negative consequences on tourism to Egypt.”
The current regulations enable tourists taking holidays to Egypt to obtain an entry visa at any of the major airports and sea ports in the country as long as they have a valid passport.
The World Travel Awards, widely known as the “Oscars of the travel industry”, will highlight the growth of African and Indian Ocean tourist destinations despite turbulent economic times for many key source markets across the globe, such as Europe and the United States. The awards honour the best holiday destinations, airlines, hotels, tour operators, and many more organisations the travel and tourism industry.
World Tourism Day will be celebrated in Aswan, one of Egypt’s leading holiday destinations, under the theme: “Tourism – Linking Cultures”.
Last week, Mounir Fakhri Abdel-Nour, said: “We are very honoured to be hosting the official celebrations of World Tourism Day 2011 in Egypt. Tourism is one of the most important sectors of our society, representing 12% of our GDP in 2010 and responsible for one in every seven jobs. World Tourism Day is an excellent opportunity to raise awareness around the world of this vital economic sector and its contribution to social, economic and environmental well-being worldwide and in Egypt in particular.”
Mr Abdel-Nour has invited the media, private and public tourism stakeholders, academics, tourism ministers, and heads of tourism associations from countries across the world to participate in this important annual event. Attendees will have the chance to discover the marvel of the ancient country during their stay in Egypt where they will stay at luxury Egypt hotels and visit the country’s collection of impressive attractions such as the River Nile, the Pyramids and the Aswan Dam.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports on offer
Cruise on the world's longest river with 7000 years of history while enjoying 21st century comfort on the cruise liner featuring superb amenities.
- Enjoy nightly entertainment at the Lounge with its resident DJ, drinks and dancing.
- The Cruise allows you to discover the stunning sights and attractions of the River Nile in comfort.
- The hotel ship offers a comprehensive program of sightseeing which is accompanied by an expert guide.
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonders, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Radamis II Nile Cruise
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Radamis II Nile Cruise from £249pp
Enjoy a memorable and romantic holiday in Egypt
- Benefit from the Sonesta Star Goddess Spa and enjoy a relaxing massage after a busy day of excursions
- Suites made for your comfortable stay with the best view
- Enjoy the swimming pool or relax on the sun deck where you can have a cocktail
Enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the all-inclusive Hilton Hurghada Resort in Egypt and discover a...
Le Meridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a short...
Le Méridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a...
AMC Royal Hotel is situated on the sandy beach of the Red Sea inbetween Hurghada and El Gouna. The resort overlooks its...
Enjoying a central location in Luxor, directly on the banks of the Nile and within 10 min walking distance from Luxor...
Experience the thrill of a jaunt to the famous Valley of the Kings as you explore one of Egypt's touristic gems, Luxor....